8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 12 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys! I've a problem with my 8th gen Si.

I got crashed a few months ago, both passenger side doors got screwed so I replaced them and the car got fixed. The problem is that the door side moldings clips fell off inside the door panel during the repair, and when someone closes the passenger door I hear those clips bouncing inside the door panel.

Any ideas to get those clips out of there? Is there any way to disassemble all the door layers to reach them? ty

Attachments

·
Registered
295 Posts
Here's how to remove door panel; open the door handle on the inside and there is a small cover you need to take out, then remove the screw behind it, there should then be 2 more bolts underneath the pull handle that is there for you to pull the door closed. Once those and any other screws which might hold the door in place out, remove the plastic corner piece that is at the front of where the window meets with the corner of the panel, pry it out. Then (for the coupe at least) pry off the cover that is on the pull handle (two slots underneath this, use a small flat blade screwdriver) and unscrew the screw holding the tether from the panel for the piece you just pried off (not the screw attached to the piece, but the one attached to the panel). From this point you should be able to take a pry tool and starting likely at the bottom of the panel, pry outward to release the clips and work your way around the door panel, if there is heavy resistance, a screw or fastener may have been missed. Once all the clips are out you should slide the panel upwards leaning the top against the glass as you do so. Once this is out, you will have to push the door handle out of the door panel, rotate it 90* and slide it out of the panel. You can also now disconnect the harness(es) connected to the door controls. The panel should be free now, installing it back in are the same steps but reversed. You should be able to reach into the metal paneling of the door to get the clips out, but be careful the edges are sharp, I've cut myself many times while sound proofing

·
Registered
295 Posts
I also recommend replacing those clips and the piece that covers them, you are risking rain or water leaking into your door cavity which may short out any speakers you have in there if the drain hole is plugged up.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Water goes into the door cavity on every car every time it rains. That is how they are designed. The water drains out the holes on the bottom of the door.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Water goes into the door cavity on every car every time it rains. That is how they are designed. The water drains out the holes on the bottom of the door.

·
Registered
295 Posts
This is why I said if the drain hole is plugged up, holes the size of those will let extra dirt and debris in possibly clogging those holes

·
Registered
295 Posts
And no, the door is not designed to let water in the door cavity, but yet it does have holes in case it does enter, the weatherstripping all around the door waterproofs it pretty well.

·
Registered
164 Posts
crap mine are all coming off slowly lol. so if water goes inside ? that is a no bueno for winter salt eh ?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Funtana is right, the doors are made to expect water to get in, it has drain holes. I just would recommend patching the holes or however you do it, water might freeze especially with winter weather and it being on metal.

·
Registered
220 Posts
The door drains are an issue, weak spot, in most Civics. The molding. rubber strip, where the window and to outer door skin wears and deteriorates and as it does more and more water leaks when it rains or you wash the car...
In heavy rain water gets in faster than it can drain. And yes it does affect the speakers.

1 - 12 of 11 Posts