8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
garage queen
17,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My Side Airbag Off light if flashing, its the one on that cluster NOT the one by the radio. The light would flash really slowly, comes on for a few seconds then turns off then comes back on and etc.

Nobody else in the car, all I had was a bag of chips in the passenger chair that wasn't touching anything else besides the chair.

PICTURE IS TO SHOW WHAT I MEAN, IT DOES WHAT I EXPLAINED WHILE DRIVING

What does this mean?! :xyxnervou

·
Registered
45 Posts
thats not the airbag light for the passenger seat it's the airbags that are along side the front and rear doors. if that is going on when you have it in position II all the lights should go on. if you car is running and the light is still on i would take it back to the dealer and have them check it, theres a problem with it.

·
garage queen
17,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, I just took picture that to show what I meant....It does what I explained in the original post while I'm driving.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
mine was doing that too. But my nephew was in the passanger seat moving around and sitting in wierd positions. If there was nothing there other than a bag of chips i would take the car in and have them hook it up to the computer and see if it tells them anything.

·
Registered
970 Posts
From the Owner's Manual:

2 - SIDE AIRBAG OFF

This indicator alerts you that the passenger’s side airbag has been automatically shut off. It does not mean there is a problem with your side airbags.

When you turn the ignition switch to the ON (II) position, the indicator should come on briefly and then go off (see 58). If it doesn’t come on, stays on, or comes on while driving without a passenger in the front seat, have the system checked [emphasis mine].

-mr. bill

·
garage queen
17,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
From the Owner's Manual:

2 - SIDE AIRBAG OFF

This indicator alerts you that the passenger’s side airbag has been automatically shut off. It does not mean there is a problem with your side airbags.

When you turn the ignition switch to the ON (II) position, the indicator should come on briefly and then go off (see 58). If it doesn’t come on, stays on, or comes on while driving without a passenger in the front seat, have the system checked [emphasis mine].

-mr. bill
Doubt they are going to be open t/m, guess I will have to wait until Wednesday :chill:

·
Banned
3,564 Posts
maby a bug in the computer i no my gf jetta does that but alittle bit dif. from what ur talking about. she bought it to vw and they fixed it. try bring it to honda maby thell fix it not sure thogh!

·
Registered
741 Posts
But what if the light just turns on automatically and when I bring it to the dealer, it doesn't turn on at all? Because mine will turn on out of nowhere between a couple of weeks.

·
garage queen
17,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah. because you mentioned a bag of chips in the passenger seat. The passenger seat light is by the radio, not the light you took a picture of. Maybe i misread what you wrote
Oh I just mentioned that encase anyone asked if there was anything there or leaning on the door.

·
Registered
227 Posts
i have had that same thing. im not sure what the number was exactly, but it says in the manual that if you have someone or something in the passenger seat that is under 40 lbs, then that light will come on. my gf was sitting in the passenger seat and was sleeping. the weight sensor is in that middle part of the seat and she had a lot of her weight on the very edge of the seat. but the sensor has to detect something and i dont think it would sense a bag of chips. does it still come on when no one or nothing is onthe passenger seat?

·
garage queen
17,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i have had that same thing. im not sure what the number was exactly, but it says in the manual that if you have someone or something in the passenger seat that is under 40 lbs, then that light will come on. my gf was sitting in the passenger seat and was sleeping. the weight sensor is in that middle part of the seat and she had a lot of her weight on the very edge of the seat. but the sensor has to detect something and i dont think it would sense a bag of chips. does it still come on when no one or nothing is onthe passenger seat?
I think your talking about the other airbag light, the one by radio...but I've had couple other things on the seat that weight heavier than a bags of chips and it never seat off the Side Airbag Off light, the one on the cluster.

·
Registered
970 Posts
You going to have anything other than a bag of chips riding shotgun on New Year's Day?

If a person will be in the passenger seat on New Year's Day, consider offering them the back seat. They can have good humor telling you "Home Charles."

Otherwise, take it to your dealer on Wednesday. More likely than not there will be a DTC associated with the event even if the light isn't on anymore.

Happy New Year already.

-mr. bill

·
garage queen
17,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You going to have anything other than a bag of chips riding shotgun on New Year's Day?

If a person will be in the passenger seat on New Year's Day, consider offering them the back seat. They can have good humor telling you "Home Charles."

Otherwise, take it to your dealer on Wednesday. More likely than not there will be a DTC associated with the event even if the light isn't on anymore.

Happy New Year already.

-mr. bill
Not taking the car out tonight atleast, don't want to be driving lol...

DTC?

·
Registered
970 Posts
DTC = Diagnostic Test Code. (Not every DTC will light up the Check Engine Light.)

You really need to be bringing it in for service. You don't want to delay on safety related systems.

-mr. bill

·
garage queen
17,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
DTC = Diagnostic Test Code. (Not every DTC will light up the Check Engine Light.)

You really need to be bringing it in for service. You don't want to delay on safety related systems.

-mr. bill
So this light can stand for something other than the airbags too?

Couldn't bring it yesterday, by the time I got there they would've been closed and they are closed today. Already set an appointment for Wednesday morning though.

·
garage queen
17,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well took the car out today and the light hasn't come on at all...should I still bring it in?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts