8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've been recently experiencing my side airbag light has been showing up once in awhile when my son is in the passenger seat, and i am not talking about the regular airbag off light on the side it's the one in the gauge cluster. anyone else experienced this one?

·
Registered
49 Posts
me and a friend of mine were riding around once and he moved in some direction and the light came on. we attempted to recreate it but couldnt

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes. Your son is leaning towards the window. It'll take a while to break him of the habit.

-mr. bill
you know whats funny is i was kinda wondering if it was because he was movin around. i just got back from some local twisties i like to go on and he went with me and i noticed when he would lean on the door to look out the window it would come on, but when he sat flat it turned off. why does it turn on anyway?

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
IIR, the manual says something along the lines that in the event that the side airbags needing to go off that it would ineffective and/or cause more bodily damage then if they didn't go off. I can't remember word for word what it says but it's something along those lines.

·
Registered
970 Posts
I know someone who broke their jaw on a side airbag. The front, side, and side curtain airbags are designed to deploy to where occupants *will* be. In some cases, sensors can detect if an occupant is in an area where they are likely to be injured by the airbag - and shut it off.

The indicator lights up so that occupants learn how to safely sit in the car.

Owner's Manual said:
Your vehicle has a side airbag cutoff system designed primarily to protect a child riding in the front passenger’s seat.

Although Honda does not encourage children to ride in front, if sensors in the seat detect a child has leaned into the side airbag’s deployment path, the airbag will shut off.

The side airbag may also shut off if a short adult leans sideways, or a larger adult slouches and leans sideways into the airbag’s deployment path.

Objects placed on the front passenger seat can also cause the side airbag to be shut off.

If the side airbag off indicator comes on (see page ), have the passenger sit upright. Once the passenger is out of the airbag’s deployment path, the system will turn the airbag back on, and the indicator will go out.

There will be some delay between the moment the passenger moves into or out of the airbag deployment path and when the indicator comes on or goes off.

A front seat passenger should not use a cushion or other object as a backrest. It may prevent the cutoff system from working properly.
-mr. bill

·
Registered
897 Posts
you know whats funny is i was kinda wondering if it was because he was movin around. i just got back from some local twisties i like to go on and he went with me and i noticed when he would lean on the door to look out the window it would come on, but when he sat flat it turned off. why does it turn on anyway?
It's a safety feature...it's telling you that the side bag is NOT going to deploy because the occupant is out of position. If it were to deploy where they are at currently...it could break their jaw, smack 'em upside the head real good or potentially kill someone (small child comes to mind).

It's a neat idea that Honda felt the need to put in...I think they are the only manufacturer with this in place. Everyone else has a side airbag but no occupant detection that I am aware of.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hmmm, If you are talking about the warning light on the cluster doesn't that mean there is a problem with the front airbag, not the side (that light is located on the dash).

·
Registered
970 Posts
There are three indicators.

Two are in the cluster:

• SIDE AIRBAG OFF INDICATOR - ding ding ding ding ding
  • SUPPLEMENTAL RESTRAINT SYSTEM INDICATOR (looks like a side view of a person in a chair blowing up a balloon.)

The third is next to the radio/nav above the hazard warning button:
  • PASSENGER AIRBAG OFF INDICATOR

-mr. bill

1 - 11 of 11 Posts