8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
7,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, noobie (um...like I'm sure some of you are too :D). I was reading in a few of the reviews of the Si that it shares some parts from the RSX Type-S, like brakes and such. Hypothetically, I should be able to put a big brake kit, designed for the Type-S, onto the Si, with little to no modification. If this is correct, would this, hypothetically, apply to any of the other components? I know that's a tough question without having the car right in front you us but if anyone knows I'd appreciate it.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I'm sure rotors can be swapped. Brakes are still a bit iffy in my opinion. They may not mount in quite the same way but I'm sure aftermarket brakes can be adapted. Most of us won't know until we try.

The transmission and engine are essentially the same as the RSX-S's so can be swapped. But parts like exhaust and intake will probably not work because of the difference in room and shape of the engine bay. I hear that the intake/exhaust is closer to the TSX's.

Ya, that's all I can think of for now. :) Probably more but we need some people to do comparisons.

·
Registered
241 Posts
its a k series engine, of course companies will be coming out with parts for it, its the same platform, just adjustments need to be made cause of the engine bay space, but im sure someone will come out with a big brake kit for the si just wait until it comes out and see what is released

·
Registered
84 Posts
I bet a few of the type s engine parts will be interchangable but I think the cams have different profiles and a few things like that r different. I dont think the brakes will be swapable but the rotors should b. I bet if u bought a Willwood/Brembo/whatever brake kit for the RSX it could probably be made to work pretty easily

·
Registered
321 Posts
I'm also thinking some relays might work but for other parts like suspension, so far it looks totally different from the RSX-S. Before, the RSX, CR-V, Element and 7th gen Civic all had a really similar rear suspension setup. The new Civic's is completely different.

Just be patient. Parts designed for the 8th gen will be out.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
The engine is different, but only slightly. The Si K20 has a balance shaft to make it smoother, mounts are different, the tranny is different, the rear suspension is totally different, the front suspension is similar. I'm sure if you give it some time there will be TONS of aftermarket parts available for the Civic just because of the similarities to the RSX. The rear suspension may take some time though because it's very different.

·
Banned
7,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
DumbasSi said:
The engine is different, but only slightly. The Si K20 has a balance shaft to make it smoother, mounts are different, the tranny is different, the rear suspension is totally different, the front suspension is similar. I'm sure if you give it some time there will be TONS of aftermarket parts available for the Civic just because of the similarities to the RSX. The rear suspension may take some time though because it's very different.
Besides that I believe the engines are the same. The z3 designation refers to the throttle. Interesting. I was just wondering about internals and front brakes etc, mainly. I figured you guys knew more about the differences becaused you'd been here longer than I and may've gotten a hold of specs that I hadn't come across. All the mags keep saying the same thing. Nobody's gone after the meat of the car yet. I know of 2 companies trying to get their hands on Si's to produce turbos but I'm thinking I should go N/A route. Anybody else doing this?

·
Registered
236 Posts
As far as i know you are right the k20 is similar but not the same the throttle body is different due to the new Drive-by-Wire system. They also add VTC Which is variable timing control to the VTEC system. At the moment i dont have any more specifics because we have not recieved an SI yet but ill try and keep up on any more changes i find. I do have a sales training spec book if you have any other questions that might be in here.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I know the gear ratios if that helps. 1st 3.267 2nd 2.130 3rd 1.517 4th 1.147 5th 0.921 6th 0.659 Reverse 3.583 Final Drive 4.765. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Pretty sure gears 1-5 are the same as RSX-S (z1), and the clutch is the same as well. 6th is TSX, not sure what the FD is out of... and the LSD is the same as the DC5R (ITR).

·
Banned
7,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What I find interesting is the K20z3 is pretty much the same as the K20z1 (aside from the obvious differences, including e-throttle). But that would mean the K20z3 has the same internals as the JDM Type-R. Aside from the LSD, the trannies are the same. Same gear ratios and FD. They also both use carbon syncros on the 5th and 6th gear as opposed to the K20a2's brass. The K20z1 uses Type-R intake and exhaust camshafts, Type-R intake manifold, and Type-R throttle body but both K20z3 and K20z1 have a lower compression ratio and redline (8100 & 8000 respectively, compared to 8500 for the K20a2).

And for the record, patience isn't really one of my virtues. I hate sitting around while other people do the work for me. That's not patience. It's just laziness. And I'm waaaaaaay too lazy as is ;).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts