8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep, traded my Si sedan for the Hybrid. The thing I miss most is the nav. I commute approx 25 miles to work in the crappy Phoenix traffic. This is my first automatic in quite some time and I am really enjoying it and so does my wife since she doesn't want to learn to drive a manual. The gas mileage and the tax credit is a plus, but the most important thing to me is being able to drive in the HOV lane by myself. It has shaved about 15 minutes off the morning commute and more than 30 off the afternoon commute. I am a bit older than most on the forum and to me time is valuable.

I think the only mod I am going to do is get an Si front grill and call it a day. I had no plans on modding the Si and I will do very little to this car. Please don't reply with a "this thread is worthless without pics" commnet because if you want to see what it looks like, look at other threads. It's completely stock and very boring to look at. There is no driving excitement with this car. And, I thought my Si was bad with no torque...:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

I have been an ******* to the guys/gals that are getting tickets driving solo in the carpool lane. I am always finding myself honking and waving as I drive by and I have gotten "the bird" on more than one occasion. I haven't really had a chance to see what kinda gas mileage it will get as I have only had the car for a week now.

·
Registered
683 Posts
congrats on the purchase. the hov access is a real plus and an incentive for those that purchase hybrids. that is one thing i wish il would offer.

i went from a 2006 hch to a 2007 si and now back to a 2007 hch. i got a job close to home and didn't have the commute so i thought it would be fun to drive a manual and they finally made the si in sedan form. so, i got one and i realized a manual wasn't for me. but, it was fun to drive. i didn't get to do much fun driving since i live in the city. il started to offer $1000 when you purchase a hybrid on top of the tax credit. this the time was right to get back into the hybrid and i haven't looked back.

mine is silver. i had a magnetic pearl, but there wasn't one with navi in il when i got my 2007. what color is yours?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hondasi006 said:
oooooohhhhhhhhh! that had to hurt. i guess you got to do what you got to do
It didn't hurt at all. The trade off to be in the HOV lane by myself is well worth it. If I were in a smaller town, I wouldn't have done this but like I said, time is very important to me...

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I really wanted a Hybrid, HCH that is, but the power and a lack of a clutch held me back enough that I bought the Si Sedan and haven't looked back. You can't drive solo in a Hybrid in our local HOV lanes yet. There is a bill up that would reduce or eliminate tolls for Hybrid owners on the tollways. I take 2 different toll highways to work everyday and it costs me nearly $3 a day round trip. If either passes I would reconsider but if they do that they'll have to allow motorcycles in that lane and since I ride I'd go that route.

Do they allow motorcycles in your HOV in Phoenix?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
TommyD said:
I really wanted a Hybrid, HCH that is, but the power and a lack of a clutch held me back enough that I bought the Si Sedan and haven't looked back. You can't drive solo in a Hybrid in our local HOV lanes yet. There is a bill up that would reduce or eliminate tolls for Hybrid owners on the tollways. I take 2 different toll highways to work everyday and it costs me nearly $3 a day round trip. If either passes I would reconsider but if they do that they'll have to allow motorcycles in that lane and since I ride I'd go that route.

Do they allow motorcycles in your HOV in Phoenix?
They do allow motor cycles in the HOV lane. If they didn't allow a single person in the HOV lane with a Hybrid, I wouldn't have gotten it. Fortunately, there are no tolls here in the Valley. AZ Dept of Trans. had the poorest planning when they designed the freeways here. They are slowly attempting to widen the freeways but they can't handle the growth of the population. They also allow CNG/Natural Gas cars to travel in the HOV solo at this time.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Jayhawker said:
They do allow motor cycles in the HOV lane. If they didn't allow a single person in the HOV lane with a Hybrid, I wouldn't have gotten it. Fortunately, there are no tolls here in the Valley. AZ Dept of Trans. had the poorest planning when they designed the freeways here. They are slowly attempting to widen the freeways but they can't handle the growth of the population. They also allow CNG/Natural Gas cars to travel in the HOV solo at this time.
Pretty cool.

I have a very good friend in Tucson and he has told me the same regarding the population expansion. You've got a lot of Californians invading there and that is some of the problem. For years real estate was priced excellently in the Phoenix area and many figured it out. I lived in Seattle and the same thing you are going through happened up there a few years ago. An influx of out of staters moving someplace that is cheaper. I'm seeing it around my parts as well, albeit not as bad as your area, and it sucks! We do have good planning from our state traffic division, actually one of the best in the country but fuk me they work on **** constantly.

·
Registered
6,717 Posts
Whenever I am in PHX I roll in the HOV lane... So Far noone has said anything but I planned on pulling the Dumb new mexican passer through. (I have NM plates).

·
Registered
752 Posts
Congrats on the HCHII

If honda ever puts rear disc brakes on and MT transmission in the HCHII I will buy one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is my first post on this site, and ironically, I also initially purchased an SI a few weeks ago, but after three days of driving it, I decided that it was uncomfortable ride for my 60-mile per day commute. I had no problems with it being manual and the fun factor, but the suspension was just too stiff for the long commute. So, I ended up exchanging it for the Hybrid, and after two trips to the gas station, I have averaged 46 MPG! The difference between the two cars is obviously "night and day", but performance aside, both cars are the more exclusive Civics to own, and gas savings and environmental feel-good factor and comfortable ride were enough to get me in the Hybrid. I ended up with the Opal Silver Blue color by the way. I plan on going with some lighter 15" rims btw...probably Sport Edition E3 model from Tirerack

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/WheelCloseUpServlet?target=wheelCloseUp&wheelMake=Sport+Edition&wheelModel=E3&wheelFinish=Machined+w%2FAnthracite+Accent

·
Registered
117 Posts
Chase said:
Whenever I am in PHX I roll in the HOV lane... So Far noone has said anything but I planned on pulling the Dumb new mexican passer through. (I have NM plates).

Good luck with that Chase. I doubt that will work with the cops around here.

·
Registered
15,798 Posts
Jayhawker said:
I think the only mod I am going to do is get an Si front grill and call it a day. I had no plans on modding the Si and I will do very little to this car. Please don't reply with a "this thread is worthless without pics" commnet because if you want to see what it looks like, look at other threads. It's completely stock and very boring to look at. There is no driving excitement with this car. And, I thought my Si was bad with no torque...:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Don't cars with electrical motors in them usually boast like 250+ ft lbs of torque? I swear I read somewhere the prius was putting out like 295 ft lbs, so I figured the civic hybrid would be the same.

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
I Vtec said:
Don't cars with electrical motors in them usually boast like 250+ ft lbs of torque? I swear I read somewhere the prius was putting out like 295 ft lbs, so I figured the civic hybrid would be the same.
hybrid specs:

Horsepower @ rpm 110 @ 6000
Torque (lb.-ft. @ rpm) 123 @ 1000-2500
Redline (rpm) 6300

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
I Vtec said:
prblem is it redlines at 1500RPM. like i keep saying, torque and redline is always a trade off, instead of looking for one of them, just look for total HP, because it incorporates both of them. total HP of the electric engine = 67HP.

besides, when you mash the gas pedal, the hybrid turns on the gasoline engine, and that engine only gives like 80lb-ft in the Prius. i see that MBk says the gasoline engine in the civic gives 123 which is much better than the Prius.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Another nice thing with it is that it's made 100% in Japan. I was very fortunate to not have on issue with my Si though. There is a group out there that has the Prius getting over mpg in relation to changing out the batteries. That is something to consider when they do it for the Honda since I am not expecting the gas mileage that they claim on the window sticker. My best with the Si on a tank was almost 420 miles and that was topping it off completely to the top of the neck and driving it like Ms. Daisy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The car would give better gas mileage with a manual transmission, I don't understand why they do not offer it, beside the car would be cheaper to buy too. I am stuck with that CVT and it really sucks.

·
Banned
14,725 Posts
Jayhawker said:
Yep, traded my Si sedan for the Hybrid. The thing I miss most is the nav. I commute approx 25 miles to work in the crappy Phoenix traffic. This is my first automatic in quite some time and I am really enjoying it and so does my wife since she doesn't want to learn to drive a manual. The gas mileage and the tax credit is a plus, but the most important thing to me is being able to drive in the HOV lane by myself. It has shaved about 15 minutes off the morning commute and more than 30 off the afternoon commute. I am a bit older than most on the forum and to me time is valuable.

I have been an ******* to the guys/gals that are getting tickets driving solo in the carpool lane. I am always finding myself honking and waving as I drive by and I have gotten "the bird" on more than one occasion. I haven't really had a chance to see what kinda gas mileage it will get as I have only had the car for a week now.
:laughing:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts