8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everybody, my 05 type S was stolen a few weeks ago just outside my house in West T.O.. I am just about to get my insurance cheque and was wondering if I should look into the Si or the base Civic (8th gen of course). What are the odds of either of those being stolen compared to say a Fit? Or should I look at other makes altogether?

On that note - my other options are basically save some dough and get a Fit (doubt those are that much safer from theft) or an older 330i since I've always wanted RWD.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
from what i have gathered any Honda can be stolen in under 30 seconds:

1. reach under car and pull wires for horn
2. smash window and get in the car (no alarm horn will sound but the lights will go off but who is looking at 2AM?
3. replace ECU with a programmed one that has immobilzer disabled
4. break the steering column open or unscrew it. Take out ignition, stick screw driver into it and crack it until car starts.

tow truck is for more expensive and sophisticated cars.

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
from what i have gathered any Honda can be stolen in under 30 seconds:

1. reach under car and pull wires for horn
2. smash window and get in the car (no alarm horn will sound but the lights will go off but who is looking at 2AM?
3. replace ECU with a programmed one that has immobilzer disabled
4. break the steering column open or unscrew it. Take out ignition, stick screw driver into it and crack it until car starts.

tow truck is for more expensive and sophisticated cars.
Why would you post something like this ? Your telling everyone who reads this how to steal our cars. Some of the thing you said I dont think would work anyways. LOL

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Why would you post something like this ? Your telling everyone who reads this how to steel our cars. Some of the thing you said I dont think would work anyways. LOL
i'm trying to tell you how vulnerable your car is. the people who would take your car already know this along with at least 20 other ways to steal your car.

take it from someone who has spent the last 3 weeks breathing info on car theft. if you want to protect your car (and trust me you do because if you can't differential steel and steal you want to stick to civics) you have to go aftermarket. get a kill switch and hide it. shell out some money for a wheel lock/steering lock and get a tilt/touch sensor that'll wake up the neighbourhood if it starts to so much as rain.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
I dont think Ive read of a single Si getting stolen up here in Ontario. Theft would be the last thing Id worry about. The older generation SiR, GSR and TypeR Integras Id be afraid to park anywhere and they are still very popular with the theives. I dont worry about my Si and Im sure most local owners feel the same way. Even an RSX theft is rare, but I guess the O/P was one of tose unfortunate few.

·
Premium Member
13,468 Posts
Why would you post something like this ? Your telling everyone who reads this how to steal our cars. Some of the thing you said I dont think would work anyways. LOL
yes they do,... lol on your ignorance.

·
Registered
716 Posts
if you parked a new si on the street over night or drove it to yorkdale and it got stolen, you'd have my sympathy and it would be unfortunate.

if you parked an older honda like em1 sir, dc2 gsr or itr or any older civic/integra with a swap on the street over night or drove it to yorkdale and it got stolen, you'd be an idiot and probably everyone would say you deserved it.

theft of a current si should not be a concern. i'm not.

·
Premium Member
13,468 Posts
Nope, they are far too new to be a comonly stolen car, and to steal one its waaaaay too much work. Its not a $100000 car. its not worth it.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Nope, they are far too new to be a comonly stolen car, and to steal one its waaaaay too much work. Its not a $100000 car. its not worth it.
Bart, I think the point is just that. Its NOT a 100000 dollar car. Ferrari's, porche's, even bmw's and benz's are more closely watched by the public eye in general and thus harder to steal without being noticed on a day to day basis. People who own higher end luxury cars usually park in very public places anyway.

A civic however is a quicker and easier task. If not stolen, our Si's are pretty hot commodity for their seats & wheels I'd say. It concerns me and I am always careful where I park, but at the end of the day...if your car is going to get stolen, there really is only so much you can do to prevent it.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.