8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A major section of highway between my house and work is undergoing a 2 year construction project that requires a great deal of detouring on lower quality roads. The Si is my daily driver and the 40 minute ride each way is getting pretty rough on these back roads so I'm considering options for smoothing out the ride. I don't care about track handling level of performance at this point.

I was considering getting Koni FSD's but I don't think those will come to fruition. Would replacing the Si shocks with EX shocks be problematic from a mechanical or safety perspective?

·
Registered
770 Posts
usually wrench...never heard of electronically adjustable in terms of after market...some expensive sports cars have buttons inside the car that send signals to electronically adjust the dampers...but springs are generally only adjustable by socket wrench

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
usually wrench...never heard of electronically adjustable in terms of after market...some expensive sports cars have buttons inside the car that send signals to electronically adjust the dampers...but springs are generally only adjustable by socket wrench
Tein EDFC gives you electronic control over shock stiffness. I think it's just an electric motor at the adjustment point on each shock.

·
Registered
8,756 Posts
Swapping suspension would be a bad idea. Get 16" wheels and tires, that'll make the ride cushier. Also choose a tire that prioritizes ride comfort over performance. Stiff sidewalls make for better responsiveness but also a bumpier ride.

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Swapping suspension would be a bad idea. Get 16" wheels and tires, that'll make the ride cushier. Also choose a tire that prioritizes ride comfort over performance. Stiff sidewalls make for better responsiveness but also a bumpier ride.
Yes...get 16" with some tires for a Pilot...Something in the range of 225/60/16

·
Registered
332 Posts
Stock size would be 205/55/16.

I think that getting a "higher" profile tire will be the most cost effective and rewarding method of improving ride quality.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Tein EDFC gives you electronic control over ride height. I think it's just an electric motor at the adjustment point on each shock.
Its not ride height that is controlled, it is the dampening of the shock that is adjustable. The only way your controlling ride height from inside the car is to buy airbags.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Its not ride height that is controlled, it is the dampening of the shock that is adjustable. The only way your controlling ride height from inside the car is to buy airbags.
Sorry, that's what I meant. I don't know what the hell I was thinking. I even said the accessory mounted to the shocks. WTF my brain.

·
Premium Member
2,042 Posts
op if you want a better ride DO NOT get coilovers or adjustable shocks, these will not help...try 16's 1st and if thats not cushy enough get an ex suspension, it would be excessively easy to convert, and I'm sure someone on the forum would be willing to trade...

16 levels of adjustment doesn't mean anything...IMO its just 16 shitty settings...

Please new people read Hi-REv's stickey's before preaching about Tein or coil-overs...

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
trade springs and shocks with an EX owner that wants a firmer ride... MUCH cheaper and save your $$$ for when you really want performance ;)

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
A major section of highway between my house and work is undergoing a 2 year construction project that requires a great deal of detouring on lower quality roads. The Si is my daily driver and the 40 minute ride each way is getting pretty rough on these back roads so I'm considering options for smoothing out the ride. I don't care about track handling level of performance at this point.

I was considering getting Koni FSD's but I don't think those will come to fruition. Would replacing the Si shocks with EX shocks be problematic from a mechanical or safety perspective?
You can get FSD's now but shipping from Asia will cost you an arm and a leg but if you want em lemme know :D Otherwise jsut get some 16"s and don't swap out the suspension.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts