8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, hello everyone. As the title states, I'm having some idling issues with my Si to say the least. Here's the low-down. This passed week, I spent time installing all my bolt ons which include: RDX injectors, NST Pulleys, Invidia race header, AEM CAI, TBS, IMG, 3in cat-back...I think that's it. So I get off work today and decide to button my car back up. I finish installing the cat-back, fill the radiator and prepare to fire her up. I must add that I'm using flashpro, have a tuning appointment with Evans and recieved a basemap from Jeff for my mods. So, I flash my ECU with his basemap and fire her up. This is where the trouble starts. I allow the cooling system to purge while checking my exhaust seals. I notice one small leak, but not enough to cause the sound I'm hearing. I mean, this thing sounds like my boys 400hp STI. So I decide to take it around the block and see how she acts. I slowly leave my driveway and the CEL starts flashing. I let off the gas and it goes off after a few seconds. I then take it out to the main road and rev it out a bit (only to 5k). I notice that it revs much slower than in stock form. So I take it easy on the way back to my house and realize that its starting to overheat. I pull back in my garage and park it with utter disgust. I might add that when I got on it a bit VTEC came in at 3500 rpm...isn't that used for turbo setups???? I double checked all my wire connections and everything looks good. I even checked the injector wiring and it all seemed good (TC clips with RDX injectors (yellow wire with black stripe on driver side)). Sorry for the rant but I wanted to give you all the symptoms. It almost seems like I'm getting too much fuel but the idling issue seems like its not running on all 4 cylinders. I wasn't in the motor and didn't mess with timing. Has anyone had a similar problem? I'm gonna call Jeff on monday but wanted to get some input. Please help if you can, thanks.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
You said you overheated? Check your coolant again...no reason you should overheat no matter your mods.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will do that tomorrow. I topped it off before I left the garage. Not to sound pushy but I'm more concerned with the way its running...adding coolant is an easy fix...getting it to run right doesn't seem like such.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
another odd thing i noticed was that the intake manifold was different temperatures at the different ports. Looking at the car from the front, the manifold got hotter as I touched it farther to the right. Basically I could rest my hand on the far left cylinder opening but the far right opening was too hot too touch. Sorry if I'm not making sense, its very late and I'm very tired lol. I'll check back tomorrow.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
I am thinking that a big issue is your base map. vtec would only engage that low if the car was programmed to do so. My stage 2 map from cobb sets the secondary cam to engage vtec at 4600 rpms, then the primary at 5600. The fp basemap might be just incredibly off.

Were you able to read any of the cels?

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's what I'm hoping but what is the likely hood that THE...JEFF EVANS sent me the wrong basemap hahaha. I wasn't able to read any of the CELs at the time. Doesn't a CEL usually stay on solid? This one was blinking and would go off if I was just idling.

·
Registered
234 Posts
You prolly werent overheating, it takes a while for the radiator to filter all that coolant through the air in the hoses, let it idle for a while, it took me about 15 minutes to 20 minutes for my temp gauge to start reading correctly after emptying/refilling radiator. As for the rest, I believe you must have a shitty basemap, try using one in FP, and modify the injectors. Should be safe until appointment.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yea, I have an email out to him and I'm gonna call tomrrrow. Glad you all think its just the basemap...I'm one to assume the worst. Gonna try re-downloading the basemap again.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok, guys, great news. Flashed the car back to stock and reloaded the basemape and she's now runnin strong. It was deffinately runnin on the basemap before because I looked at the calibrations specs and it identified the 410cc injectors and such. I still don't know why it wasn't runnin right but she's now runnin like a champ. Pullin hard and running smooth. Thanks for your help and reassuring me that it was just a glitch with the basemap...I fell much better now :vtec: :vtec:

·
Registered
352 Posts
did you ever get ahold of jeff? if i am understanding your last post correct, you are running his basemap? i hope you have done some datalogging to check and make sure there is no knock and the a/f's are good. remember that this is just a basemap and it is not going to be 100%

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
Ok, guys, great news. Flashed the car back to stock and reloaded the basemape and she's now runnin strong. It was deffinately runnin on the basemap before because I looked at the calibrations specs and it identified the 410cc injectors and such. I still don't know why it wasn't runnin right but she's now runnin like a champ. Pullin hard and running smooth. Thanks for your help and reassuring me that it was just a glitch with the basemap...I fell much better now :vtec: :vtec:
glad it was nothing major :rockwoot:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts