8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had this car since April and reported the problem to Honda w/i 1 hr of owning the car - to date, there is nothing that they can do. Whenever there is power going to the radio, there is a buzz type sound eminating from the speakers. It doesn't matter what I am listening to, as long as there is power - not even volume - you hear the buzz. Thus far, Honda has replaced the amp, the head unit and all wires - it is still there. Any one else with this? Up until now, all I owned were VW's, and I can say I have never had any problem like this and I am beginning to regret my decision---any ideas? Thanks

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
all that remains is the speakers...start with the sub or rear deck speakers and unplug em one at a time to see if that eliminates it...is it from all speakers or just one or two?..then again how do u know that Honda replacd anything...good luck

·
Registered
291 Posts
marcSI said:
I have had this car since April and reported the problem to Honda w/i 1 hr of owning the car - to date, there is nothing that they can do. Whenever there is power going to the radio, there is a buzz type sound eminating from the speakers. It doesn't matter what I am listening to, as long as there is power - not even volume - you hear the buzz. Thus far, Honda has replaced the amp, the head unit and all wires - it is still there. Any one else with this? Up until now, all I owned were VW's, and I can say I have never had any problem like this and I am beginning to regret my decision---any ideas? Thanks

i doubt they replaced ALL the stereo system wires. i know everyone will holler bad ground here and it very well may be. if they truly changed out everything then it does not seem likely to track down the problem.

does it buzz when the engine is off? does it change volume or intensity with turning on your lights or accelerating?

run an additional ground from the battery to the car frame and also an additional ground from the altenator to the frame. 16 gauge is plenty.

send me $5 in the mail when it solves your problem. lol

·
Registered
89 Posts
I just posted about this in another thread. If I wasn't new, I would link directly to that one, but I don't know how to do that. Anyway, I will give the update on mine real fast. It has been at my dealership for a week and a half now. They replaced all the stuff listed above, along with going from speaker to speaker to check connections with no luck. Yesterday they were just unplugging random stuff to see if any other electrical system was interfereing, and they found that when they unplugged the air bag control system (SRS i believe) the noise went away. So they ordered a new control system, and installed it today, which of course did not fix the problem. I just got off the phone with my dealership, and they are having a honda field technician from Honda corporate come out to look at my car as soon as he can make it out, which they think will be in a month. So if your car is anything like mine, its quite a hole to get out of with no easy fix. Ill keep you updated as more happens with my car. Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
raido buzz....cont'd

As far as replacing everything - I am sure they did a bunch as nothing ever gets put back perfectly - and there was some interior augmentations - slight, but they were there. To answer the other questions - the buzz is independent of volume and the buzz does not change volume regardless of what is on - except of course - the car. I do not have NAV. The only time I hear the buzz is when the car is on and the radio/cd/ipod is turned on. the buzz is gone if I turn the radio power off. I dont' think it is speaker independent as it is an equal opportunity anoyance - it comes from all speakers and is everpresent.
It is nice to know I am not alone.

Has anyone out there contacted customer service directly - that is Honda central? I am calling tomorrow - if we get enough calls in, maybe they will have to do something - eventually.

·
Registered
89 Posts
My car does not have NAVI either. I am waiting to contact honda directly. My dealer has someone from Honda coming out to look at my car, and I have no reason not to trust them, they have been great from the start about all of this. I would hope that just having my case in the books says enough about the problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts