8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

Ive been looking for a new daily driver to replace my 2002 jeep liberty since my office changed location and I now have a 40mi each way daily commute.

I really like the handling and fun factor of the SI and the mileage of the EX.

What im wondering is... since i have a 80mile round trim daily commute in light traffic on 6lane highways should I be able to hit the cruise at 65 on the SI and get 30+ mpg average. Id say about 90% of my driving is this commute.

Either car will get me out of my 16mpg bottomless pit on my liberty and obviously the EX would do better as if I can hypermile 30+ with the SI you could probably get 40 out of an EX.

Id prefer the SI... but low 20s just wont cut it for all my hwy driving.

Anyone? Am i being realistic about a 30+ mpg SI with my driving?

Thanks,

Dan

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
You could get 30 mpg out of a si driving on the highway but not in the city,I would just buy the si because you know you want it anyways.:thumb:

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
It depends on how often you engage in vtec. I average about 300 miles on 11 gallons, which is under 30 mpg. I vtec everytime I get on the freeway, so about twice a day.

I am glad I got the Si over the EX. I'm willing to bet if I got the EX, I would regret it everyday.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
What im thinking is that during the week i can cruise in the 62-65 sweet spot for mileage (from what ive read here) and get 30+ for my long commute... and still have a really fun car for the weekends. I can live with 25mpg except my commute... the commute is killer... using 5gallons a day right now in my jeep. lol.

Ive test driven both, and they both drive well... but the SI hugs corners like nothing ive drove before... love the suspension.

·
Registered
967 Posts
i get 31 or 32 mpg every time i go on a long trip. but if you want a little better millage on regular gas and handles closer to an Si you could always get an EX with the HFP suspension.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i get 31 or 32 mpg every time i go on a long trip. but if you want a little better millage on regular gas and handles closer to an Si you could always get an EX with the HFP suspension.

I Saw that was available as an upgrade... what does that include exactly?

·
Registered
599 Posts
I had a regular civic before I bought a SI and to answer your question you won't regret buying the SI.....

·
Registered
460 Posts
getting the si will make you smile every time you drive...
i had 04 si to 08 si and it was so much of boost... si will still give you decent gas too...

·
Registered
419 Posts
I get low 30's on the highway, so the Si is pretty good on gas, but needs premium fuel over the EX's regular. I think it's a good highway car, and the fun I have the rest of the time means there's no way I'd trade for an EX.

That, said, if you were trying to save more money and still get some handling, the EX with HFP suspension wouldn't be bad, like civicsi13 said. HFP suspension comes with springs and struts for all four corners. It drops the car about .75 inches, and from what everyone says, improves handling by a mile.

You could probably have good handling in either car, so your choice mostly comes down to R18 or K20? I know my answer... :vtec: :thumb:

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Hwy wise you'll get 30 mpg. the only downside is that your gonna pay a little more since you can only use pemium. But its worth it.

·
Banned
2,243 Posts
It all comes down to what style of driving you will be doing. Since you're coming from a jeep, you obviously dont really haul ass on your daily drives and just want a good car to get around in. A regular civic will do that job perfectly for ya.

Another thing to consider is whether you will want an auto, 5spd or the 6spd Si.
I had a 5spd EX before and driving it was not as much of a work out as in the Si. You have more torque to play with in the lower rev range which is perfect for daily commutes and gas mileage.

I'd get the Si if you are about to start being late to work and want to be flying down the highway Vtec-ing all the way to work.

·
Registered
484 Posts
SI SI SI SI SI SI SI SI SI SI SI SI SI SI SI SI SI SI SI SI SI SI SI SI SI SI SI SI SI SI SI

I think you should go EX... I squeeze 32MPG outta my SI every tank (only have AEM Cold Air Intake). I love v-tak!!!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
One more question... is the SI any more/less reliable than the lesser civics? whenever i look at reviews they always lump the SI with the others... but ive read a couple places that its reliability is average compared to above average for the others. Just wondering if that high reving engine has a price tag. lol

Im definitely looking for a stick... putting a auto on a small engine is just a waste... the 6 speed in the SI is sweet... the cost seems to be about 5mpg, premium gas, slightly more on insurance ($7 a months, lol). All said and done it will probably cost $4 (premium gas) + the cost of 2 gallons of gas to go the same distance as a tank on the EX.

·
Registered
513 Posts
The only lesser reliability I've heard with the Si is the third gear issue from the first few years of this generation. If anything, I'd think that the K20 would maybe be more bulletproof when driven normally because it is built to handle a lot more stress.

I would say to go with the Si. The worst mileage I've ever got was 24mpg with a lot of cruising around town (like, well over 50% of that tank). Otherwise, I have a 20 mile commute to school every day and I still get 27-30mpg with a little spirited driving/city driving too.

Personally, I don't like the pricing of the R18. It seems like you get so much less for your dollar than you do with an Si, and the only other plus is marginally better mileage. If you go drive them both I doubt you'll want to come back to the R18.

·
Pillar of Objectivity
8,915 Posts
EX.

The Si's transmission still has bugs (some 09 owners complaining about third gear, and it's supposedly 'fixed'). There was a user on here earlier who said that while test driving slightly used Si's, they all felt 'loose' and 'sloppy'. At 32,000 miles, my car feels and sounds like it's about eight years older than it is. I probably just have a bad one though.

Honestly, if I had your commute, it'd be an EX, beyond a shadow of a doubt. Better fuel economy, still plenty fun to drive, and doesn't have as many of the annoying quirks the Si does.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts