8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first manual car... and words of wisdom for getting used to the 6spd gearbox? once thats done.. any tips for getting the most UnF outta her, as far as powerband/shift points? Any other feedback is welcomed!

·
Registered
11,889 Posts
owners manual

:thumb:

U must be really excited man..... i remember last month when i bought the car.......il smile b4 i die :biggrin:

Learn the term rev match.... and practise it after driving a few hundred miles.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Royce said:
This is my first manual car... and words of wisdom for getting used to the 6spd gearbox? once thats done.. any tips for getting the most UnF outta her, as far as powerband/shift points? Any other feedback is welcomed!
watch the 3rd to 4th shift, something about the angle of the shifter makes this one easier to mess up

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
rev match is for downshifting, for example shifting from 3rd to 2nd. you do this because the engine will have more power at a higher RPM in a lower gear. basically what you do is, clutch in, shift from 3rd to 2nd, keep clutch in and give it some gas. then you release the clutch and the car should smoothe its way into second. the point is to "match" the engine RPM to the gear so that there is no jerky car motion when downshifting. you'll get better at approximating how much gas to give as you practice it.

·
Registered
11,889 Posts
TJ213 said:
watch the 3rd to 4th shift, something about the angle of the shifter makes this one easier to mess up

+1

even the 5th to 6th shift!!!! 6th is a wierd angle..... u might drop it down to 4th..... so watch out

u shift from 5th to 6th twice.... ul be fine soon after that.

NEVER DOWNSHIFT FROM 6TH TO 2ND OR 1ST.....= engine blown.//// take ur downshifts easy

·
Registered
463 Posts
nayilsi said:
NEVER DOWNSHIFT FROM 6TH TO 2ND OR 1ST.....= engine blown.//// take ur downshifts easy
If you are going over 70mph, your only downshift gear options (safe ones) are 4th and 5th (assuming you are in 6th). 3rd gear's limit is ~72mph. 4th ~104mph, 5th ~132mph, 6th ~156mph (you will never get it that high stock on the road).

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Just pretty much watch every shift you do.....They can all be tricky.

4th to 5th is a weird angle. You gotta push away at an angle. Last thing you want to do is be redlining 4th, then mistakenly go into 3rd instead of 5th....heh.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Just shift slower at the beginning to understand exactly how the shifter moves before trying to do quick shifts. You can still redline it however. :vtec:

·
Registered
898 Posts
I feel sorry for you that you're learning to drive stick on this car...it's rough to manage this car for an experienced manual drive like myself. I'm pretty good, been driving stick for years and this one definitely has it's quirks. The up side to it that learning on this car might just make you a really great manual driver. Then you'll get a real performance car with a nice smooth cluth and tranny and you'll go "Look at what I was missing!!".

·
Registered
183 Posts
Avoid any steep hills the first few days till you get the hang of it.
You don't wanna roll back into a car behind you.

If you do find yourself on a hill and you stall, use the parking brake. Give it a lot of gas get a feel of the car pulling forward and let the brake go so you won't roll backwards.

·
Registered
63 Posts
nayilsi said:
+1

even the 5th to 6th shift!!!! 6th is a wierd angle..... u might drop it down to 4th..... so watch out

u shift from 5th to 6th twice.... ul be fine soon after that.

Yeah you really have to make sure to push to the right when shifting into 5th or 6th, the shifter has a strong attraction to fourth gear. A few times already on the highway when trying to go from 5th to 6th I found myself back down in 4th instead.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I actually found it easier to drive the Si. Two weeks ago, it was the very first time I got in the driver's seat of a stick shift car, I learned in a G35. I thought the G35 clutch was pretty picky and probably stalled out 50% of the time I went from stop and go.

Last week, I test drove an '06 Si and the clutch was a lot smoother and it was pretty lenient on me when I was trying to find the friction point.

The biggest challenge for me is from start to go. I did have a problem with shifting into 3rd gear on the Si but I'm not sure if this was because of my inexperience or if I actually experienced the 3rd gear being "notchy".

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
try to shift slow at low rpm about at 3000

·
Registered
579 Posts
MBK said:
rev match is for downshifting, for example shifting from 3rd to 2nd. you do this because the engine will have more power at a higher RPM in a lower gear. basically what you do is, clutch in, shift from 3rd to 2nd, keep clutch in and give it some gas. then you release the clutch and the car should smoothe its way into second. the point is to "match" the engine RPM to the gear so that there is no jerky car motion when downshifting. you'll get better at approximating how much gas to give as you practice it.

do you let the clutch go fast or slow?

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
3-4th is the easiest shift, other than 2-3rd because it's just straight down. 5th is a little wierd, but I pretty much put my hand's palm forward on the inside of the knob, then push outward. 6th is fun because I put my thumb facing down on the shifter, and just pull. The slight push you're giving to the right makes it slide down into 6th. Reverse is locked out, so you don't have to worry about that.

·
Registered
396 Posts
The biggest challenge for me is from start to go. I did have a problem with shifting into 3rd gear on the Si but I'm not sure if this was because of my inexperience or if I actually experienced the 3rd gear being "notchy".[/QUOTE

I think Most if not all of the 8th gen civics have that notchy feel when putting it into 3rd.

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
drunkrusski101 said:
do you let the clutch go fast or slow?
don't drop it (super fast), but not slow either, you have to let it go fast enough so the revs you gave the engine don't drop by the time you engage the gear (let the clutch go). i say about medium to fast, but not slow or super fast.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
biggest advice... be patient and the skills will come

also search youtube for videos on how to drive manual, there are some good ones

1 - 20 of 95 Posts