8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 07 R18 and have used Mobil 1 and OEM filter since its first change at 5k miles. OCI's are every 5k miles and I'm now approaching 40k miles. I know it's not a lot, but since I'm thinking about it, do most people switch from 5-20 (depending on model) to a higher viscosity due to engine age or should you stick with original spec for the life of the car? I assume it all depends on how it's running later on in it's life, but just wondering if there was a rule of thumb. I'm sure a lot people are up around 100k miles by now, so just wondering what your findings have been. Thanks!

·
Registered
800 Posts
Since Honda engines are so easy on oil and your only at 40k, I would stick with the 5W-20. If you were seeing some oil burn off, then you might try one of the high mileage oils in a 5W-20 flavor? It's going to be a little thicker, but still in the 20 weight.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

·
Registered
11,043 Posts
^^ the problem with saying that in this case is that you're preventing it from being broke.

Hence, you see the problem with that here :D

·
Registered
800 Posts
^^ the problem with saying that in this case is that you're preventing it from being broke.

Hence, you see the problem with that here :D
Well, if he's that worried about the 20 weight not working, do a oil analysis on the next drain and see what the oil tells you.

My guess, the oil will say that at 5,000 miles, you still have plenty of life left and try to extend your OCI a couple thousand miles (i.e. what the maintenance minder tells you).

Everybody on here cracks me up with their fear of the oil not protecting. Honda engines are very easy on oil, even our K20's! Unless your boosted, just follow the maintenance minder.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not following the MM isn't because I don't trust it, it's because my OCD trumps my conservativeness. I find it a heck of a lot easier to go by 5k OCI's than to try to remember every 6 or 7k. Plus, getting 1 or 2k more out of my oil isn't that big of a deal to me. I'll just drive a few miles to the Gulf and pick up more :dance:. Thanks for the info. though, but I'm not wanting to change any time soon, just wondering if there was a roundabout mileage you would start seeing improved protection from something else. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
i guess you should start using a heavier weight oil if your motor starts burning oil, i did it before and it defiinitely helped stop some of the oil burning.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts