8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ended up buying a used 07 si coupe for $13 k while deployed overseas. I planned on spending a WHOLE lot more for a new car so i have over $6 k to do whatever i want to my car. I come home in a month. I'm new to honda vehicles so i dont know what to really expect from the car. Should i enjoy it stock for a while before i jump into it and start buying mods for it? I'm really eager to just upgrade it asap. Would you guys hold off or go ahead and spend the money?

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
HOld off, drive the car, get used to it, and then decide what to upgrade. If it feels underpowered, add an intake, or buy a nice header. If you feel the suspension could be a little better, spend some money on a nice set of coilovers. G'luck!!

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
You have the car in hand already right. It's at your house and everything?

Just curious cause 13k for an SI sounds suspect.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sgtpruitt said:
You have the car in hand already right. It's at your house and everything?

Just curious cause 13k for an SI sounds suspect.

It just got to my house a couple days ago. carfaxed it, had my brother in law who drives an rsx and knows a lot about these type of cars gave it a thumbs up. I bought it from another service member so im sure that's why i got it at the price i did. i think this might be the lowest i seen anybody buy it for:dancing:

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
SiSoldier said:
It just got to my house a couple days ago. carfaxed it, had my brother in law who drives an rsx and knows a lot about these type of cars gave it a thumbs up. I bought it from another service member so im sure that's why i got it at the price i did. i think this might be the lowest i seen somebody buy it for:dancing:
Thank god man. I was worried cause a lot of soldiers buy cars downrange and never see them. Yes, you got the best deal on an SI i've heard of.

The question is what do you want out of the car. Are you trying to make it faster in the straight line or more for appearance or all around performance as a daily driver? There are different routes you can go. In general though you'll probably want to beef up the sound system and lower the stance with springs/camber kit or perhaps a set of coilovers to start. Then I'd think about lighter wheels. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
sgtpruitt said:
Thank god man. I was worried cause a lot of soldiers buy cars downrange and never see them. Yes, you got the best deal on an SI i've heard of.

The question is what do you want out of the car. Are you trying to make it faster in the straight line or more for appearance or all around performance as a daily driver? There are different routes you can go. In general though you'll probably want to beef up the sound system and lower the stance with springs/camber kit or perhaps a set of coilovers to start. Then I'd think about lighter wheels. Just my opinion.

all around performance as a daily driver. maybe get up to 250 whp. i dont plan on putting that many miles on it since everything on post in within a 3 mile radius. i would like to race it at tracks. as far as exterior all i want is tint and wheels.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
For that you could do a Greddy turbo, Wheels(cheap like rotas)/Tires, and maybe springs/camber kit. I think 6k would handle that and get you about 250 whp with a good tune.

edit: but ya you should wait a little while :laughing:

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
SiSoldier said:
all around performance as a daily driver. maybe get up to 250 bhp. i dont plan on putting that many miles on it since everything on post in within a 3 mile radius. i would like to race it at tracks. as far as exterior all i want is tint and wheels.
sweet! definitely turbo it, and drop it...

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
would the greddy turbo be a pain in the ass to maintain? i know super chargers are a little less stressfull. which one would cost more to install?

·
Registered
192 Posts
I've been researching this a lot lately. Super Charger is going to cost you more. From what I have read the stress to the engine is the same, possible less with a turbo b/c you’re not in boost all the time. I think they are more efficient as well. If you looking at turbo the gerredy is a safe bet. Look at redshift if you looking to super charge. With that said, there a so many + and - you have to take into account so just do a lot of research before you make up your mind. I'm not even thinking about boosting the car until for another 2 or 3 years and I'm looking into it.

·
Registered
5,361 Posts
if you want to do it right, start with the suspension and work your way up. Lighter rims, stickier tires, full suspension, all the bars to tighten everything up, then work into the engine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts