8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Err I know alot of people will call me a [email protected]$$ for not buying the Si from the beginning...but I had a few reasons why I went against the Si.

1) I drive through heavy traffic every week day, regardless if its in the city or the HWY...its moving 3 ft every 5 secs...

2) Gas/Insurance costs - I'm hitting up the gas pump with $30 every week on an AUTO LX :SHOCKED:

One (but not the main) reason i went auto was because of the heavy traffic I have to go through daily...

3) I purchased the car with intentions of having it for a long time to come (and i still do, lol well kind of), and instead of selling it to an outsider, just keep it in the family and give it to my mom or something. She can't drive a MT, and I don't expect her to...so I figured I could sacrifice my driving experience for a bit and have her be comfortable instead.

However, now I am having 2nd doubts...

Sure the R18 is a great car, and I absolutely love it, but my vtec is tuned for fuel economy rather than performance...

The 140 HP is at the crank, I don't even want to know what it is at the wheel with an AT :eek:hnoes: :eek:mg:

Anyways, if I trade in, I will NOT be upside down...

I owe 12K, and the car at worst is worth 16K (hasn't even hit 3500 miles yet)

So in a sense that's good...but I'm still losing the battle as I paid 4K down payment and paid off 2K in payments in 3 payments...and I know I'm eventually losing money in between, but I just haven't calculated how much exactly and whether or not it will affect my credit. The latter is very important.

·
Registered
326 Posts
The Si is definitely worth it! Actually i find a manual transmission to be less of a hassle in traffic.
1. most of the time you don't really have to shift.
2. slowing down is alot easier b/c you can just downshift; rather than
going from throttle to brake to throttle... etc.
3. ensures that your more aware of whats going on around you.
So it would probably be worth it to go for the Si.
espcially because of :vtec:

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
1. gas costs you 30 bucks to fill up?? dang. i dont drive my car like a maniac but i do have fun with it and i only fill it up once a week and it costs me maybe 32 (and this is on premium, since i have an Si).

2. insurance for me is about 100 bucks a month and im only 22.

3. 140 HP at crank - take 20% off of that = rough estimate of WHP.

4. if you can do it w/o jeopardizing ur future and credit, i'd say get the Si.

5. how are you going to mess up ur credit if u still keep making the payments for the LX? as ur long someone is making the payments on time, ur golden.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I'm sure I'm gonna get hated on here but it sounds like your complaints are paying to much insurance/gas and sitting in traffic.

Well um...I'm sure the manual is great for traffic, but your still not going to lower your insurance or gas costs goin to an Si...
Forgive me for suggesting but you could always try a prius, which is capable of doing your traffic puttering on full electric.

Just an idle suggestion. Get the Si of course if you want to enjoy your car, but if you never get a chance why bother.

Or just get a manual civic coupe...I don't see where anyone would think the Si is going to save you money over the LX...

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
GoHuskies said:
I'm sure I'm gonna get hated on here but it sounds like your complaints are paying to much insurance/gas and sitting in traffic.

Well um...I'm sure the manual is great for traffic, 1.) but your still not going to lower your insurance or gas costs goin to an Si...

Forgive me for suggesting but2.) you could always try a prius, which is capable of doing your traffic puttering on full electric.

Just an idle suggestion. Get the Si of course if you want to enjoy your car, but if you never get a chance why bother.

Or just get a manual civic coupe...3.)I don't see where anyone would think the Si is going to save you money over the LX...
1. TRUE! if anything u'll raise your insurance.
2. LOL
3. if anything, u'll spend just as much on gas.

:1:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
MConnery said:
Err I know alot of people will call me a [email protected]$$ for not buying the Si from the beginning...but I had a few reasons why I went against the Si.
Those are the reasons why I went against the Si, (the higher insurance rate, spending more money on gas etc) I know that getting the Si will raise those costs, hence why I went with the LX originally.

And I don't drive like a maniac, $30 a week is due to several reasons such as
a) Driving more miles than you
b) Stop-and-Go
c) Gas prices (even though you use premium, my regular might cost around the same due to location.

Anyways I did the math, and I will be losing a ton of money after the initial trade in loss through all the misc costs and etc...

As much as I like the Si, there is no point in having it if I can't enjoy it.

I'll continue making the payments and in Nov 08, I will be finished with my payments :dancing: only after 16 months of owning the car :thumb:

·
Registered
252 Posts
MConnery said:

1) I drive through heavy traffic every week day, regardless if its in the city or the HWY...its moving 3 ft every 5 secs...

3) I purchased the car with intentions of having it for a long time to come (and i still do, lol well kind of), and instead of selling it to an outsider, just keep it in the family and give it to my mom or something.

However, now I am having 2nd doubts...

Sure the R18 is a great car, and I absolutely love it, but my vtec is tuned for fuel economy rather than performance...
:yeahthat:

So did ( do ) I ... and having a lowered car for three years and going on bumpy roads made me stay away for stiff suspensions for good .. and because performance I got an MT .. you can squeeze more juice out of that economy Vtec :vtec:

If you're happy with the LX stay with it

·
Registered
5,595 Posts
No just keep it. I have an 06 EX Coupe and its fine and at least i don't have to put premium gas in it and if your so worried about paying $30 at the pump for a fill up then fill it at a half a tank. So keep it unless you want transmission problems,oil leaks,rev hang etc on the Si. I was thinking about the SI a long time ago but didn't get it because im afraid it would have more problems then the EX. Another member traded his LX for an SI,and his SI has more problems then his LX did. Keep the LX get wheels,body kit,intake,exhaust header.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Buy an Si for fun... save up a little more $$$ and buy a 92-95 Civic auto for daily driving...

I have my Si for fun (although it is currently seeing daily use) and my 91 Integra for the daily use (although SOMETHING isn't quite right right with it right now).

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
just remember, you will always want to buy something better than what you have now. If you are unhappy with your lx now, you will likely be unhappy with your si after a while as well. People always want something better, but when you will start trading cars every few months, that is not financially wise.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
3pac2k6 said:
just remember, you will always want to buy something better than what you have now. If you are unhappy with your lx now, you will likely be unhappy with your si after a while as well. People always want something better, but when you will start trading cars every few months, that is not financially wise.
That is definitely true, and I admit that I do get bored out of everything very quickly.

But I'm going to at least keep the LX because it is financially unwise to start swapping cars, so I'll just save my money up and after a couple of years upgrade to something nice

1 - 17 of 17 Posts