8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a EXL coupe that is in great shape and am trying to decide if I should K-swap or turbo it. I have read a few other threads and people have been saying just to get an SI, however I live in Canada and where I live there are almost no SI available at a reasonable price. I am leaning towards an engine because there are a few auto wreckers in my area that have SI engine. As far as Turbos there are none available in my area. I am planing on doing all the work myself

Here it what I have invested to put things in perspective. $5400 Canadian for car.
The auto wrecker was offering the SI engine for $900 Canadian. I understand that I can't just throw that engine in there are a number of other things I will need. Getting the other parts is not what concerns me, what concerns me is the computer system of my car. If I put the engine in will it work with my cars computer?

Is there a engine that Is a better option?

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
ok a couple of things

1. you need a entire donor car meaning everything engine related to a Si for a workable swap. means you need the ecu and harness as well as motor tranny mounts etc. so the entire clip

2. This is a really indept swap man a lot to do and swap over to make this work. honestly unless you getting everything free its best just to buy a Si to start with.

3. Great your doing all the work yourself long as you have all the proper equipment and tools cool.

4. Lets talk about the R18 I have mine and its fully built turbo/Meth injection. Much easier to manage then what your doing then again you will save a lot of money doing the work yourself.

5. Buy a turbo kit man. go to turbokits.com you can select one for the R18 or if you go through this insane swap the k series as well.

6. I would say work with what you have the r18 is fine just like any car just needs love. ask me question if you must about the r18 platform

7. what is your actual power goals and budget to spend. that will determine a lot honestly. Building a car in general is not a cheap endevour

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much for responding. Right now I could probably spare around $1000 US because I need to save for school I know its basically nothing. That $1000 would prob be better put towards cosmetic stuff. Maybe next summer look at turbo. Do you have any cosmetic interior or exterior ideas? Maybe some website links?

If I decide to go turbo how much power can I expect? How expensive would you recommend?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts