8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to car audio and learned most of what I know from lurking on this forum.

I recently upgraded my stock audio system to the following:

Pioneer DEH-P5000UB
Infinity 6020CS in the front powered by Rockford Fosgate P200
Infinity Basslink
Dynamat extreme in the front doors

Pretty simple setup. Someone mentioned though that I should disconnect the rear stock speakers so as "not to disrupt the staging of the front". Not sure what that means exactly. Does anyone else recommend this?

·
Registered
378 Posts
it depends what you're looking for. If you need the rear speakers for people in the back, then no, leave them. Personally, I'm one for front stage only, but if you don't have a high end SQ system you probably won't know what the difference is,and will miss the volume from having a rear set of speakers.

My recommendation: try it, see if you like the way it sounds with a front stage only. If you don't like it then you have always reconnect the rear speakers

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
It comes down to what you prefer really and yeah, if you have passengers they kinda want to listen to music as well.

SQ cars are set up for "front imaging" this pretty much means that if you have an orchestra cd/live concert cd you should be able to close your eyes and hear the various instruments and point our their locations as if you were actually there as when you are at a concert the music comes from the front and not the rear.

I, myself, prefer the surround sound experience even with music and if you ever plan to have any sort of dvd/screen in your car front only speakers would be very lame IMO.

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
im running a DVD screen in the car, and ive disconnected my rear speakers, fact is without real dedicated processor that does 5.1 theres no real point since it just converts it to stereo output. . .

if you have the channels to use the rears go ahead, but if you dont and dont feel you like the rear sound then take um off. . . either way, just try it, unplug them and try listening, then plug them back in, on/off/on/off, and decide for yourself

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
It comes down to what you prefer really and yeah, if you have passengers they kinda want to listen to music as well.

SQ cars are set up for "front imaging" this pretty much means that if you have an orchestra cd/live concert cd you should be able to close your eyes and hear the various instruments and point our their locations as if you were actually there as when you are at a concert the music comes from the front and not the rear.

I, myself, prefer the surround sound experience even with music and if you ever plan to have any sort of dvd/screen in your car front only speakers would be very lame IMO.
Two disagreeances:
If you think for a minute I only listen to orchestra/live concert only because I have an SQ car you’re crazy. ;) I don’t have a single ‘orchestra’ song, and the only live stuff I have is by bands that I enjoy… not just because it’s live and should sound good.
I demo’d my car last night. I played the following:
Peter Gabriel
Rage Against the Machine
10,000 Maniacs (Natalie Merchant)
Huey Lewis and the news
Steve Winwood
Sara Evans
The Game (yep, rap)
Dire Straits
Stevie Wonder
And a few others I can’t recall right now

Point is: I set my ‘sq’ system up to sound good for all music; not just reference music. A good, well balanced system, with proper imaging and staging can make the best of ANY cd. When you hear one of your old faves and you’re able to tell that the singer is in front of the guitarist who is about 5’ to the left of him, you have a newfound respect to those who strive to get a good overall system. Not having rears doesn’t automatically give you this result. Unfortunately, it’s widely accepted that an good system doesn’t run rears… and that’s where the difference stops. IMO, I’d like to make rears work in my car, but I’m too busy trying to nail down the front.

‘surround sound’. I agree with the below. Welcome to the world of ‘stereo surround’. Beyond that, what actual music discs do you have that are recorded in 5.1? I’m willing to bet none. I could be wrong… but I’d wager that bet. ;)

im running a DVD screen in the car, and ive disconnected my rear speakers, fact is without real dedicated processor that does 5.1 theres no real point since it just converts it to stereo output. . .

I’m not picking on you, Mike. I’m just picking at what you’ve said, as MANY seem to believe the same. I really do ask of you to hit up some local SQ competitions sometime and really see what it’s all about. :)

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Oh no worries man, I love stereo talk!!

I agree with the music cd's in 5.1 and that 0% of actual music would be in 5.1, I was meaning movies...etc

I would love to have an SQ car but I was born partially deaf in my right ear so what sounds right to me, sounds like trash to everyone else :)

I have actually never sat in a straight SQ car, I'll get on that this year as I compete in SPL competitions, Street B, myself! This year I'm moving up to Street C as I hope to jam two 15" subs in the Si but I doubt I will be very loud as I am going sealed this time around as I don't want a 7-9 cubic foot box!

·
Registered
265 Posts
IB= Infinite Baffle.... basically using the trunk as the box.

I have the rear speakers hooked up in my car but I never listen to them. My wife, on the other hand does. She always fades the sound back to them a few clicks. So it's a personal preference thing.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Ahh Gotcha!

I think I'm going to see how well sealed does!

We got my friends RX-8 up to 139.4db (Street A) off 2x10" Sonances with 2krms sealed and a STOCK deck runnign off a RE-Q convertor and thats not bad at all.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts