8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently purchased a 2007 XL Auto that has 115K miles and I do not know if any maintenance has been done on the transmission as far as flushing the fluid.

In my past, I have drained and refilled the fluid on 2 other vehicles (S-10 @ 110K mi,Corolla @ 145K mi) only to have the transmissions both fail about 20-30K later (about 1-2 years of driving for me).

With me being 0-2 with trying to help transmissions with a fluid change I'm hesitant to do it again.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I checked the fluid and it appears to have some slight darkening but still red.

One thing I have learned, the parts list of the warranty replacement of the cracked engine block my vehicle had at 88k included 2 qts of transmission fluid. I assume some is spilled during the replacement (radiator?) and is changed. So I can assume some amount of fluid has been changed out already.

·
Registered
176 Posts
If there is nothing written in your service records booklet, perhaps you could check with the closest dealer to see if they have records.

FYI - your Maintenance Minder will prompt you in the future for trans fluid changes. Wouldn't hurt to do it now if you're worried, but I would do the same as CraigW suggests, drain & fill (no flush) with genuine Honda DW1. My '06 has ~186K with "knock on wood" no tranny issues and I always do the tranny service when the Minder tells me.

There's several discussions on this board regarding this topic for your reading enjoyment...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have previously spoken to the dealer who maintained the car and have a print out of the service history. The descriptions are pretty vague but when I talked through the items with them they could explain them in more detail. There's no mention of any transmission service and at the time I wasn't aware of the details of the engine block replacement to know to ask if any trans fluid was changed.

When I get some time I do think I'll go through with a D & F. It sounds like it hasn't been causing any issues with others like I've experience with other cars.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts