8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,

A couple months ago my car was running very rich to the point it threw a cel (engine too rich).. all of this because of a crappy intake....now I'm just wondering if i should change my spark plugs because i heard that running too rich will damage your plugs.
08 CIVIC SI WITH 9K MILES

any help would be greatly appreciated,
thanks

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
They are probably fine. But if you are concerned about it (or if you notice a problem and are wondering if it's the plugs) you can pull them out and check them. You will be able to see if there are any issues. Most likely they are fine though.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
^^^eBay intake...no name brand...yeah i know totally my fault..i learned my lesson and I'm now running the ct intake with great results!!

·
Registered
222 Posts
hey guys,

A couple months ago my car was running very rich to the point it threw a cel (engine too rich).. all of this because of a crappy intake....now I'm just wondering if i should change my spark plugs because i heard that running too rich will damage your plugs.
08 CIVIC SI WITH 9K MILES

any help would be greatly appreciated,
thanks
how do you know your car was running rich? Did you have your check engine light checked and was that the DTC? putting an intake making your car rich sounds weird unless you damaged the maf sensor maybe? the spark plug condition tells you how your car's running rich/ lean/ detonation/ pre-ignition/ ignition timing/ fuel fouled/ carbon fouled/ etc... Running rich normally means your plug heat range is too cold which will cause fuel foul or too cold of a spark plug or extended low speed driving will cause carbon foul. Iridium spark plugs are suppose to last 100,000 miles if you DRIVE NORMAL. If you drive your car hard 60,000 miles is a good time to change your plugs. Getting step colder isn't gonna make your car run better or faster. Unless you have force induction or a built motor. 2 step colder plugs are good if you have almost 500-600whp. The general rule is 1 step colder for double the factory horsepower.

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
Intake leak after the MAF, bad seal or improper fitment of MAF could cause intake related mixture problems. But, cheap eBay intakes are generally knock offs of name brands, and while they use cheaper filters and sometimes bad welds, it's not often that they will throw a CEL where a name brand wouldn't if properly installed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts