8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They have sensors to monitor the stroke movement in the suspension which is relayed to the ABS in turn which adjusts the braking as needed. Stroke as in the rod lengths so it monitors the movement of the rods in the dampeners. Here's some videos to hear about it

I bet they will ditch that system to make the car handle better :D I am not a fan of those gimicky electronic things....

Drifting Videos | Car Racing Videos - GT Channel - "Honda Guru" Ichishima talks about the New Civic Type R! 3 of 3 on GTChannel

:eek:

·
Registered
8,756 Posts
Repost! lockkthx :biggrin:

J/k. Well, they were talking about it in context of how/why the car handles like an FR car... but I think the handling's more attributable to the stiffer rear dampening, especially when it comes to braking--there's more resistance to transfer the weight to the front, so there's less of a front dive when slamming on the brakes.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Hmmm ... no likey electronic help there Revy ...TSK TSK :biggrin:

The way I see this particular setup is that it is not a variation of active suspension, but more an advanced version of the existing EBD system where they have added a suspension stroke sensor to more accurately measure and compensate for dive under braking by manipulating the existing EBD system.

Obviously the weight transfer caused by excessive dive is not a good thing for the most part as it adds another variable to the suspension puzzle. But some weight transfer is good when used to your advantage ..ie trail-braking to help rotation.

So in my eyes this is more positive then negative ...

Moose

·
Registered
929 Posts
Ha ha, you called Moose a smart guy.... hey smart guy, I'm gonna whip your ass at go karting tomorrow morning!!!

We've got stroke sensors for the race cars, just gotta get them on there and hooked up to the data logger (along with the tire temp sensors and everything else) all this data is indispensible if you actually refer to it....

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A good Damper should be able to compensate for the Additional Dive in the nose, or even proper spring rate. Also Weight transfer can be a good thing no? Weight increase traction on the tire at a decreasing rate but still, I would much rather have a mechanical rather than electronic system control the weight transfer, look at DBW, it is getting better, but still not as good as a cable throttle yet....

Ever driven the BMW with DSC? You can't even push the car with that thing, I see that this could almost limit your abilites to control the car...No? Or am I misunderstanding the controls this system has? Does it not compensate for anything other than braking? What is this comparable too?

As a datalogging feature I could see that information as priceless, but to compensate for acutal suspension handling or even braking..I am worried :D

·
Registered
799 Posts
A good Damper should be able to compensate for the Additional Dive in the nose, or even proper spring rate. Also Weight transfer can be a good thing no? Weight increase traction on the tire at a decreasing rate but still, I would much rather have a mechanical rather than electronic system control the weight transfer, look at DBW, it is getting better, but still not as good as a cable throttle yet....

Ever driven the BMW with DSC? You can't even push the car with that thing, I see that this could almost limit your abilites to control the car...No? Or am I misunderstanding the controls this system has? Does it not compensate for anything other than braking? What is this comparable too?

As a datalogging feature I could see that information as priceless, but to compensate for acutal suspension handling or even braking..I am worried :D
I am not a fan of most active suspension systems as they tend to be too intrusive ...particularily for an experienced driver ... I have not driven the BMW however I have beaten on a Z06 and G35-sport ... the Vette's system was actually pretty good, and the G35's was nasty.

I look at the system in the video as an interesting way of compensating for a stock suspensions limitations ..ie soft enough to be comfortable, therefore it is going to have more movement and dive under braking then an experienced driver would like

So like a big swaybar (Adding spring rate only under cornering) it is a band-aid type fix to help manage weight transfer with softly sprung / damped street setups.

Sooo .... yes damping and spring rates will do a better job at managing dive and weight transfer, but the "street" ride quality will suffer for the "Average" driver.

Moose

·
Registered
799 Posts
We've got stroke sensors for the race cars, just gotta get them on there and hooked up to the data logger (along with the tire temp sensors and everything else) all this data is indispensible if you actually refer to it....
Heeee Heeee ... I am trying to convince MAXI to let me "borrow" his shock stroke sensors off "Kermit" and retro fit on the FG2 ... I hope to be testing a set of Prototype adjustable C/O's this spring ... full-on test at a track with data-logging etc, plus shock dyno's etc .

:lildevil:

Moose

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh absoutly!!! If they offered this for my Fiance's car this would not limit my choice in buying that car as long as there was a way to turn it off for when I drive the car. But then again even being an old sore SOB I still want to have the control over the car and don't want to rely on comuter controlled systems to compensate for what they think I am doing wrong driving :D Just to make the ride "better". As long as it can be shut off fine...But I think these electronic devices are getting too intrusive into acutal control of the car, for example if I drive in the snow I make sure I turn OFF any VSA or DCS They acutally make things more dangerous in some situations...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.