8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody remember or have the link to this place or post office where it helps you keep/store the package for pickup for a small fee/charge?

I'm so tired of paying ridiculous prices getting parts shipped from U.S to Canada and getting raped by the courier. Also, buying the parts local are usually a lot more expensive than in the U.S anyways.

With the current condition of the economy, I want to save as much $$ as possible lol.

I need to get a new set of performance summer tires soon and I got quoted $1000CAD for it if i buy local. If i get it shipped from tirerack, it cost me $800USD shipped. But if i just buy it and have it shipped to a U.S address, it's around $550-600USD. What a difference!!! Even if i convert the currency I'm still saving a few hundred dollars if i get it shipped to a U.S. address and then drive down for pickup.

I dont want to pay the premium like I did for my Yokohama A048 & Bridgestone Potenza RE-01R again from last year.... :(

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
CBI - Entry Page

$5 for smaller packages or $10 for larger ones. The rate becomes even cheaper if you subscribe to a yearly fee (if you do a lot of over-the-boarder purchases). I know the guys there by a first-name basis now, haha. You'll also get cheaper prices from DiscountTiresDirect.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
or you could ship expedited or express. only the slowest transit gets brokerage fees added. anything quicker is brokerage free. it may be cheaper this way depending on much the transit cost is.
Doesn't mean there won't be customs and duties though...

So it would be best to go with something like what Ken suggested. Of course you would still be charged customs/duties if you declare at the border but that is all up to you.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
or you could ship expedited or express. only the slowest transit gets brokerage fees added. anything quicker is brokerage free. it may be cheaper this way depending on much the transit cost is.
Yes, but that wouldn't apply in this situation. I know for a fact that both TireRack and DTD charge brokerage, all taxes, duties, and an increased shipping fee at checkout for orders shipping to Canada - while anything shipped inside the states gets shipping for free as well as any duties/brokerage.

·
Registered
692 Posts
how much taxes or duties would u need to pay if u drove four new tires and rims over the boarder?

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
well thats TireRack and DTD. everytime i've shipped from HondaPartsDeals i've only had to pay a cheap COD charge other than the shipping price.
I hate to be shitting on you, but ain't we talking about getting tires from TireRack here? :bighug:

how much taxes or duties would u need to pay if u drove four new tires and rims over the boarder?
13%.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ah ic. Thanks guys for all your help & suggestions! I really appreciate it!

Ken, that is the link I was exactly looking for. I bookmarked it awhile back but couldnt find it (dunno why lol). Thanks a bunch man!! :thumb:

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
yeh or he can just drive the crappy tires down there and toss it there... drive up with the new ones... i was actually always lookin for a place liek that to store stuf.. i guess i can now buy snowboard stuff from the states =) and also car parts too ... i love the free shipping that exists down there

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
if it is shipped by air, there is no brokerage fees charged. call the courier company to ask the question
Brokerage is not the one that will cost a lot though. It's customs and duties that I would worry about.

And yes, if you ship by air (ie Fedex International Priority) the brokerage is included in the shipping fee.

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
if its the case that TR or DTD has the best prices then it is probably just better to drive down, mount the tires and come back. you'd save more that way. you also have to keep in mind that 4 tires would be oversized and cost more to ship anywhere.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
just wondering.. have any of you ever used that service.. that website looks really crappy for me to have faith in them... also i dont find any reviews on the internet yet...

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
just wondering.. have any of you ever used that service.. that website looks really crappy for me to have faith in them... also i dont find any reviews on the internet yet...
CBI - Entry Page

$5 for smaller packages or $10 for larger ones. The rate becomes even cheaper if you subscribe to a yearly fee (if you do a lot of over-the-boarder purchases). I know the guys there by a first-name basis now, haha. You'll also get cheaper prices from DiscountTiresDirect.

·
Registered
716 Posts
U.S. Address.

i used them last summer to pick up wheels and tires. the fee is the the same as the place ken posted the link to. it's right off the highway....

my bro bought some runflat snows from tire rack. still with all the shipping and the taxes collected on behalf of the government on the checkout page, it ended up being a lot cheaper than local shops quoted who couldn't even get them..... he could have driven to buffalo to pick them up, but between the gas and time it wasn't worth it.....

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
so the company that u buy from ship to the U.S address or the one that Ken posted..n then u hv drive down there to get the items?

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
I've sent at least 70 packages through them (for myself and some friends) and have had no problems at all. I wouldn't recommend a company that I haven't tried myself to others here. They are awesome people.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts