8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a shift point at peak HP, on my stock motor and it's never been flashed. I've dyno bikes and some bikes the peak HP are 500 or 600 rpm's before redline and some pull up to the redline.

To reduce confusion: Please only reply it you've had your car dyno'd or hang out at a dyno shop/race shop.

·
Registered
18,914 Posts
I'm looking for a shift point at peak HP, on my stock motor and it's never been flashed. I've dyno bikes and some bikes the peak HP are 500 or 600 rpm's before redline and some pull up to the redline.

To reduce confusion: Please only reply it you've had your car dyno'd or hang out at a dyno shop/race shop. image
100% stock i think peak HP is at 7800 rpms

·
Registered
18,914 Posts
Shift light comes on around 8,250 RPM's, got it.

Can the factory shift light be changed to a different shift point (RPM)???
shift light starts blinking a little before 8k i think....maybe 7600.
goes solid at 8k.
fuel cut off is at 8250

not sure if the light can be changed, but the redline can be changed with flashpro.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It makes zero sense to over rev a motor. Shifting at precisely peak HP will yeild faster E.T.'s.

I may looking into the MSD shift light.

·
Registered
28,275 Posts
It makes zero sense to over rev a motor. Shifting at precisely peak HP will yeild faster E.T.'s.

I may looking into the MSD shift light.
Well...it depends.

What yields higher ETs is maintaining the most power to the wheels for the longest time possible.

This all depends on the gearing of the transmission.

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
the reason you shift past peak is because you want to stay in VTEC for maximum power unless you have fp.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Let's stay on the thread topic.

When you dyno'd your vehicle (w/ criteria above, stock motor etc.) at what RPM did the printout show peak HP?

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
wouldn't it make sense to go as close to fuel cut where a decent amount of power is still being made so that you land at a higher rpm and will be making more power then shifting at 7800 and landing in a lower RPM and thus making lower power

·
Registered
28,275 Posts
wouldn't it make sense to go as close to fuel cut where a decent amount of power is still being made so that you land at a higher rpm and will be making more power then shifting at 7800 and landing in a lower RPM and thus making lower power
Indeed it would.

OP is ignoring gear ratios, however.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I view things this way... if you like to shift your vehicle sooner or later... that's cool!
It's all about what works for that individual.

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
as long as you fall back into vtec after your shift your fine. This motor is based on rev's rather than utilizing peak torque and such.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts