8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my civic si shifts normally and basically fine when driving normal, but when i’m going high speeds it’s hard finding the gear, also it gets stuck in reverse so i have to usually punch it out of reverse, anyone have an idea of what this can be? my mechanic just did my shifter cables and i hoped that would’ve fixed the issue but i still have it, he said it could be that the previous owner seemed to force in the actual shifter itself so maybe a new shifter will resolve it. any input??

·
Registered
295 Posts
By highway speeds do you mean high in rpms? It's common on our transmissions to have issues getting into gear at high rpms because of our cmc and slave cylinders. If you just mean traveling fast and shifting then you may want to look at the connection from your shifter to your shifting cables. There is a small half sphere bushing that connects the shifting cables from the selector that might be missing. In other cases, your synchro gears could be ruined. Not uncommon on our cars. I recommend getting a skunk2 short shifter adapter, this is a hard link to the shifter cable rather than a bushing and I found it helps to find the gears easier, about 60$ and might be cheaper than a whole shifter assembly

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah man i was actually looking to get the short shifter adapter, i don’t believe there’s anything really wrong with my tranny or synchros cuz i don’t have any grinds or anything like that. gonna try paying more attention to it this week and try pinpointing the issue.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
also, the problem gets worse the longer i drive, at first my shifting is fine but then after like 30 mins of driving it starts to act up, by fast i mean high RPMs

·
Registered
295 Posts
So having issues finding gears when shifting high in rpms is normal due to our cmc and slave cylinder, they have a damper valve on them that slows the release and engagement of our clutch. This would feel like a grind, but the shifter would be in the right area in the h pattern at least. I recommend that skunk2 short shift adapter, only issue is the set screws that hold it in place vibrate loose and you'll have the issue reappear once and a while. When installing, I recommend removing the entire center console so you are able to use Loctite on the small set screws, this will prevent them wiggling out. When you can't find the gear does it feel like the lockout from first (like when you are traveling too fast to down shift into first) or can you not even find the area to pull back or push forward to get in the right column?

·
Registered
295 Posts
If it feels like the lockout from first, that's our cmc and slave cylinder, you can get a HR/k-tuned/hard-racing em1 replacement kit and that should fix that issue, if it feels like you can't even find the column, that's your shifter bushing that connects the shifter cables to the actual shifter and would be fixed with the short shift adapter if done right (sadly this only works for the small half sphere bushing on the back of the assembly, not on the left of the assembly)

·
Registered
164 Posts
also, the problem gets worse the longer i drive, at first my shifting is fine but then after like 30 mins of driving it starts to act up, by fast i mean high RPMs
Replace the shifter busings as stated above. I used Acuity shifter busings. Also, remember to replace your tranny fluid with oem every other year or so. if you want, you can replace the Slave Master cylinder with oem but remove the plastic delay valve. Looks like the end of a pen cap. Just be careful because after that the clutch will feel like an on / off switch.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I just replaced my shifter bushings with acuity, as well as the shift selector springs, I didn't notice it finding gears at higher rpms any easier, just less play. When I say shifter bushing, I mean in the cabin not the engine bay and I don't mean shifter base bushings, I mean the ones that are held in with those god forsaken metal clips that are a b*tch to take out that are connected to the actual shifter (the thing you move with your hand). But yes, can't harp on changing tranny fluid enough, I aim to do tranny fluid every time I change my brake rotors, you can use gm synchromesh or ammsoil or any synchromesh fluid, I even believe honda sells synchromesh now too, didn't used to.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks so much for the input guys!! i will experiment and try out a few things including the short shifter adaptor and see what ends up working

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i have an 09 civic si, apparently the skunk 2 adaptor doesn’t work on the 09 model, i guess the assembly is slightly different on the 09. any other adaptor recommendations?

·
Registered
4 Posts
The short shifter will most likely not help at all. Check that fluid as its a pretty cheap job. On the other hand short shifters are great for the civ but just for other reasons. I love my hybrid racing short shifter but it was a little expensive.

·
Registered
295 Posts
It's not a short shifter, its a short shift adapter, it replaces the plastic bushing that is located on the rear connection to the shifter cable making a solid connection which makes it easier to find gears. It fixed the third gear grind for me and eased up high rpm 1st to second as well. It won't solve the issue, just makes it less noticeable.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It's not a short shifter, its a short shift adapter, it replaces the plastic bushing that is located on the rear connection to the shifter cable making a solid connection which makes it easier to find gears. It fixed the third gear grind for me and eased up high rpm 1st to second as well. It won't solve the issue, just makes it less noticeable.
I'm aware of what your talking about but I have never used one so I cant speak on it only what I've used like I did. Sorry for trying to give some advice my master mechanic.

·
Registered
295 Posts
No I'm sorry for dismissing the advice, I thought you had tried it and were trying to say it didn't work. I tried countering by saying it did from my experience, but it came off well, a little prudent.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts