8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
shifting into gear problem(not 3rd gear problem)

Hi all,

Had a problem in my FA5 tonite and was hoping someone here could shed some light on it so I could be prepared at the dealer tomorrow. Was driving home and went to shift into second and it wouldnt go in, it would move but wouldnt 'stick' in gear. I had no 2nd and 4th so I mad it home on 1st and 3rd. However, now I can barely shift into any gear at all. The gear shift will wiggle but wont move to any side, it went into the reverse position but the car wouldnt move. I've only had minor 3rd gear problems and only about 2 second gear grinds since picking it up in may. If anyone has had any similiar experience or knowledge of this problem it'd be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
11,889 Posts
2nds been an ASS to me....

ive often missed 2nd and put it in 4th (2wice).

Sumthing weird happens....I feel a bouncing sensation when 2nd doesnt engage...and all of a sudden my cars in 4th....

2nd gear prob >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 3rd gear prob.

07 FG2 btw

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
if you are physically having trouble moving the shift knob into the desired gear, your first step is to change the manual transmission fluid and shifter bushings. seems unlikely though, since neither of these things are known to go bad in just a few years (unless you've put a TON of miles/wear on your car.)

if you're still under warranty however, you should bring it to your dealer first and foremost.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
if you are physically having trouble moving the shift knob into the desired gear, your first step is to change the manual transmission fluid and shifter bushings. seems unlikely though, since neither of these things are known to go bad in just a few years (unless you've put a TON of miles/wear on your car.)

if you're still under warranty however, you should bring it to your dealer first and foremost.
:yeahthat: What year is your SI? :eek:hnoes:

·
Read Only
0 Posts
don't mean to hijack (sounds like you have major problems), but the shifting problems i had (don't have the car anymore) were just going from 1st to 2nd. if i shifted before ~7900, it was fine, but if i shifted past ~7900, it would often grind. i think what was happening was it shifted down into the 2nd position, but it didn't stick (why not?), so when i let off the clutch it was grinding because it was just out of position.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Hi all,

Had a problem in my FA5 tonite and was hoping someone here could shed some light on it so I could be prepared at the dealer tomorrow. Was driving home and went to shift into second and it wouldnt go in, it would move but wouldnt 'stick' in gear. I had no 2nd and 4th so I mad it home on 1st and 3rd. However, now I can barely shift into any gear at all. The gear shift will wiggle but wont move to any side, it went into the reverse position but the car wouldnt move. I've only had minor 3rd gear problems and only about 2 second gear grinds since picking it up in may. If anyone has had any similiar experience or knowledge of this problem it'd be greatly appreciated.
that sounds more serious than the typical si transmission grinds. have you had recent work done to the car? sometimes a shifter linkage/cable can get bent or snapped, and then shifting is game over. here's picture for reference:

Honda Automotive Parts

i also agree with the above poster re: bushings. shifter cable bushings gone bad can also cause this, but they last a long time under normal circumstances.

good luck man

·
Read Only
0 Posts
i wasn't the one who revived, but i love reviving threads, because it bothers so many people. it's so dumb, because if you don't revive, and instead make a new one, people say "use the search please". you can't win. same goes with making 3 posts in a row vs quoting a handful of people in 1 post; you get complaints either way.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.