8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone noticed the area around the shifter gets warm after a short time? I can feel the heat on my leg and if I run my hand along it,, the plastic areas are warm to the touch? Is this normal? Thanks

·
Premium Member
22,779 Posts
iknowmysh1t said:
bump i have the same problem
agreed. same here for any & almost all highway spirited drive or prolonged city stop & go situations.

·
CHOO-CHOO!!!!!!
14,929 Posts
Don't you thing the heat is coming from the tranny tunnel? If I put a drink in the cupholder, cruise down the highway, and not sip on my drink, by the time I'm ready for it, it's hot as Hades!

·
Registered
13,281 Posts
The cat is right under the shifter. That is the hottest part of the exhaust. It radiates enough heat, even with the heat shield ,to heat up the sorounding metal that is connected to the shifter area. Since one of the properties of metal is the ability to conduct heat, that is what happens. My grandpa's 79 ford full size van with the 460 cubic inch in it, created soo much heat in the exhaust that the exhaust heated the floor enough to burn your hand.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
couldn't this cause a potential problem in the tranny? constantly expanding and contracting due to the heat?

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
dnbsi said:
couldn't this cause a potential problem in the tranny? constantly expanding and contracting due to the heat?
not really your tranny is not really where your hand is its in the front under/next to the engine. But your tranny heats up and cools anyways and has mtf/atf around it.

·
Registered
828 Posts
i dont have this problem, someone in a previous post on here said that there is a heat duct to go to the rear of the car down there and sometimes it comes loose, but then again i dont really pay much attention... just a thought

·
Registered
14 Posts
My cup holder and the plastic around my transmission get very hot, but I only have the problem when I have the heater turned on and set to blow towards my feet (or feet and face). It makes sense that it would be a duct, rather than the cat or the transmission.

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
My cup holder and the plastic around my transmission get very hot, but I only have the problem when I have the heater turned on and set to blow towards my feet (or feet and face). It makes sense that it would be a duct, rather than the cat or the transmission.
Read the dates bro, this is a old post.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts