8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the JDM Type R shift knob and the Honda bushing that fits underneath it to replace the factory knob on my 2009 FA5. The problem is, the bushing does not screw down far enough on the shifter to allow the knob to screw in above it. This bushing is a nicely machined piece and I had planned to tie wrap the boot to the recess on the bottom of the bushing. Does anyone know a fix, workaround, or replacement part that will allow this combination to work. I really prefer the fit and look of the bushing over the stock nut. The shifter arm is just too fat under the threads. Thanks for any help/advice.

Chris

·
CHOO-CHOO!!!!!!
14,929 Posts
Are you talking about a shift boot collar that replaces the plastic ring, and keeps the shift boot up? Try flipping it over and screwing it back down. That MIGHT give you a little more space, but personally I think they're worthless. I bought a generic one and found that I couldn't screw my shift knob down far enough because the collar took up so much space on the shifter. My advice would be to put it in the FS section and let somebody else buy it. If you like your shift knob to sit low, you'll never really use the collar anyways.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm mostly looking for the collar to fill in the space above the boot and below the knob. When driving casually, I will sometimes use an underhand grip with my fingers around the shift handle. The factory nut feels crappy, the Honda part (what I was calling a bushing) seems to be perfect, but the taper of the shift arm below the threads does not allow this piece to screw down far enough. I thought of filing away the arm to reduce the diameter, but this will take a LONG time. I need to gain about 5/8 of an inch.

Chris

·
CHOO-CHOO!!!!!!
14,929 Posts
Use a Dremel and it will take a lot less time than filing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts