8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I’m new here and don’t know if this is in the correct place or in the correct format.
I have an 06 manual Civic. I need some help figuring out the problem with my car. I think the issue might be the shifter cables but I’d like to somewhat confirm before I go through and order them.
I was reversing to park then tried to put in first to straighten out and that’s when I felt the shifter wouldn’t really move other than up to 3rd or 5th (not sure what gear) and neutral. When I move the shifter into gear and slowly let go of the clutch I can see my rpms drop as it usually would when in gear and it’s fine in neutral. I have done research and seems like the shifter cables need to be replaced but I want to make sure it’s not a transmission issue. I’ve gone ahead and removed the center console to look at the shifter cables and the left one which is the one that makes it possible to move in the left and right direction and you can see it’s obviously pulled up/out and not in its natural lower position. It’s also impossible to press down. Same goes for the bottom(up and down) shifter cable. That one won’t go all the way in. It only goes as far as the neutral position. How can I confirm this is the issue and it’s not internally with the transmission. I’ve found shifter cables from Honda parts now for 175ish shipped but I’ve been hesitant to order because I’m afraid I’ll order the parts and they won’t work and then I’m out that money. If anyone can help that would be great. I appreciate it.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts