8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

sh**ty times ......

3K views 29 replies 20 participants last post by  ibanez37 
#1 ·
I went to the track tonight and was pretty dissapointed with my times. My best time was a 15.4 @ 96mph. My 60ft was a 2.4 ( I know, i have the crappy stock michellin's). As far as mods I have a K&N short ram and a BuddyClub Race header. In all I did 3 runs, the higher I would launch the worst time I would get, I was launching at 2.5-3k. I didn't powershift and I lowered my tire pressure in front to 20psi. I feel as if the car looses so much momentem between shifts as if you fall right out of the vtec range. I cannot stand this drive by wire, it feels too electronic for me. And to boot I also got a cel while leaving the track, I don't know from what probably the race header, I never got a cel before this. Any advice....

#5 ·
I am in Montreal, the track is about 30-40 mins away from Montreal. Ya I was basically dropping the clutch, should I feather it? As for the tires 2 of my buddies who ran as well said to drop the tires to 20psi, that way you would get a little more traction.

#6 ·
Yeah, you have some room for improvement on your 60' there. Feathering the clutch is a start if you aren't already doing so. Also, power shifting + making sure you are going alll the way to redline (aka right before the limiter) helps make sure you stay in the VTEC window. I know sometimes when I mess around in normal driving, I sometimes get that slight lag between shifts like you mention, but I have to make sure my shift points are on. I trapped the same time as you stock, but your mph shows you have a lot of room to move down in ET. You have 4-5 mph on me.

#9 ·
1cleanfg2 said:
I went to the track tonight and was pretty disappointed with my times. My best time was a 15.4 @ 96mph. My 60ft was a 2.4 ( I know, i have the crappy stock michellin's). As far as mods I have a K&N short ram and a BuddyClub Race header. In all I did 3 runs, the higher I would launch the worst time I would get, I was launching at 2.5-3k. I didn't power shift and I lowered my tire pressure in front to 20psi. I feel as if the car looses so much momentum between shifts as if you fall right out of the vtec range. I cannot stand this drive by wire, it feels too electronic for me. And to boot I also got a cel while leaving the track, I don't know from what probably the race header, I never got a cel before this. Any advice....
If your shifting fast enough you should land at around 6,300rpm in each gear i never feel like i have that problem yes the dbw sucks but after you get use to it its not that Bad.

#13 ·
1cleanfg2 said:
I went to the track tonight and was pretty dissapointed with my times. My best time was a 15.4 @ 96mph. My 60ft was a 2.4 ( I know, i have the crappy stock michellin's). As far as mods I have a K&N short ram and a BuddyClub Race header. In all I did 3 runs, the higher I would launch the worst time I would get, I was launching at 2.5-3k. I didn't powershift and I lowered my tire pressure in front to 20psi. I feel as if the car looses so much momentem between shifts as if you fall right out of the vtec range. I cannot stand this drive by wire, it feels too electronic for me. And to boot I also got a cel while leaving the track, I don't know from what probably the race header, I never got a cel before this. Any advice....

i think 15.4 is decent i've seen worst , plus look at ur 60 ft' 2.4 that's like insanely high drop it like 2.2,, 2.1 u'll be in 14's , but 15.4 ain't bad for stock tires

#16 ·
Wait, is that what you guys are doing when you're powershifting? Not using the clutch? That can't be good, is it even possible? I've never attempted pulling it out of gear and into another without depressing the clutch first.

My understanding of powershifting is keeping the gas pedal floored while shifting regularly.

#20 ·
Although I have never been to the track, I would say def. feather the clutch instead of just dropping it, and shift faster! You dont need to power shift, I never powershift, and I always land at like 6300 to 6800 RPM. Those things sound like what is killing you.

And for those asking powershifting is shifting without letting off the gass. It is not good for the tranny!

#22 ·
I went to the track tonight. I launch at 5500 all night a got 2.3 60ft timez. But I also have the torque damper and took my tire pressure down to 20. I using the stock all season tires. Power shifting helps alot but like they said it's not good on the tranny. Hope this helps

#24 ·
jameslewis178 said:
yea powershifting is not good for the syncros but what is the point of going to the track if your not gonna do what it takes to get the best time out of your car. when i was on stock all seasons i still would launch at 5500rpm.
its actually not good for any part of your tranny, the point of going to the track is to have a good time and to see what your car is capable of doing without blowing it up. I wouldnt recommend powershifting to anyone unless you got a savings account just for your tranny.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.