8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!
Scion shitmobile owner here, it’s finally time for me to buy a new car, and I’m looking for something sporty and reliable.
My search began with looking at SRT-4s, older Imprezas, and even some of the newer BRZ’s.
After some heavy research, I decided that an 8th gen Civic SI will be perfect for me based on price, reliability, and mod potential.
So now that I’m pretty set on my decision, I want you guys, the Civic SI owners out there, to give me your thoughts.
What do you like about your car? What do you dislike about it? What have you done to it? Dare I ask about 3rd gear?
Thanks everyone! I look forward to joining the Civic family!

·
Registered
517 Posts
I've owned my 06 Civic Si Coupe for almost 9 years now.
- 3rd Gear issue - never had the problem but I replaced the clutch master cylinder, shifter bushings, and trans fluid to help out any issues that may have occurred.

- personally I haven't had any major issues. Fluid changes, and brakes, and tires are all the maintenance I've had to do.

- current mods are Skunk2 cold air intake, TWM short shifter, Hybrid Racing EM1 CMC swap with bushings and Hondata Flashpro.

·
Registered
124 Posts
The 8th gen civic Si's are great cars! I bought an 06 Coupe this summer and I have to say. Its quite the upgrade from my 7th gen civic.

I only have a few things I dont like.

The most annoying thing is how jerky the car can be in stop and go traffic. This car does not like going really slow. There is quite a bit of engine breaking so when coming on and off the gas it is just not smooth. Compared to my mom's 08 GX manual the K20 is much more high strung which is great except in traffic.

The second thing is the rev hang. There is a lot of it. When shifting from 1st to 2nd its the most noticeable. It makes it difficult to shift quickly and smoothly. At first it was really annoying but after a while you mostly get used to it. I still cant wait to get a FlashPro and get rid of it though.

3rd gear grind is a problem more so with the 06 to 08 cars. For my car, it was driven pretty gently before I bought it but in the first 500 miles I drove 3rd ground 3 times. I decided to replace the stock fluid with AMSOIL SynchroMesh and now after 6000 miles i havent had a grind. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Paint is another thing that can give you trouble. Luckly the car I got is Silver so it doesnt have any clear coat problems. I also think the Rallye Red holds up. Pretty much any 8th gen is going to have problems so don't hold it against the owner too much.

One thing I actually really disliked was the shift knob. Its mostly metal with a leather wrap around the middle. I bought the car in the summer are I swear I almost had the shift pattern burned into my palm. To replace it I bought a Delrin shift knob on Ebay and I love it.

There are so many things I love about the car and one is the seats. They have decent bolstering to hold you in when cornering but still are super comfortable. Them being black helps hide dirt and they are cloth so they dont burn you in the summer or freeze you in the summer.

Overall the 8th gen Si is fantastic car with great reliability and nice power. I dont think youll be disappointed unless you buy a really mistreated one.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I've had my '09 fa5 for about two and a half years, and I still can't drive it without a goofy grin. I would highly recommend changing the transmission fluid as mentioned earlier, I went with 'new' Honda and it was a pretty dramatic improvement, also makes the rev hang more tolerable. Haven't done the MC, yet, but mine has started making noises so I probably will soon.

The paint situation is a drag, but at least I can't see it from inside. In terms of practicality the car has been amazing! I had a 99 Accord previously, and the Civic has more room everywhere... except the engine compartment. Fits the car seats no big deal, and I can put my road bike in the trunk even without folding down the seats. Fuel economy has been great as well.

My only complaint is that it's front wheel drive, but the stability system does a pretty good job making it feel neutral in the corners, even if it slows it down a touch. The LSD also makes a huge difference for when you want to romp on it without stability control, or the weather turns slick.

All in all, I think it's a great choice, and haven't come across anything that could replace it yet!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts