8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I have a Civic EX w/navi 07, it is around 27,000 miles. The wrench light turned on with service code A12. It is at 15% oil.
A means oil change
1 means tire rotation
2 means filter

Some of the dealers told me the newer models of honda cars don't need to be serviced after/close to each certain mileage is reached, some told me they do need to be serviced close to 30,000. Other honda dealers told me that the newer models get serviced by service code (in my case A12).

How should I get my car serviced? the service at 30,000 miles or by the service code A12?

Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh sorry. Hi! I am from the east coast and I go to school in Nor Cal. I have a Galaxy Gray Civic EX 07.

Good enough? =D

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Stick to the maintenance minder. Ignore the dealer BS. I work at a dealership and would love for customers to do it by mileage, because that's more money for us. But, listen, times are tough and there's no need for that. The maintenance minder is designed to inform you when specific services are to be performed.

·
Registered
11,043 Posts
the 30,000 mileage maintenance is just a bunch of inspection of parts that the dealer doesn't even do when you pay them for it.

rotate your tires, change the oil, change the air filter if you haven't.

And you're done.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you. So the 30,000 mileage "service" is unnecessary? It won't mess up my car?

I know the older Hondas go by mileage because they don't have maintenance minders. SO whenever the wrench turns on and it has a service code, I should just get it serviced then?

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Thank you. So the 30,000 mileage "service" is unnecessary? It won't mess up my car?

I know the older Hondas go by mileage because they don't have maintenance minders. SO whenever the wrench turns on and it has a service code, I should just get it serviced then?
Yes.

30k is not necessarily overkill. Yes, they inspect the car, but they also do the following where I work:

-cabin air filter
-engine air filter
-ATF or MTF, drain plug washer
-engine oil, filter, drain plug washer
-coolant service
-brake fluid flush
-tire rotation
-wheel balance

They used to do all the wiper inserts but removed it and lowered the price of the 30k accordingly.

It's a good amount of work for a 30k.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think the 2 is the air filters.
A is engine oil.
1 is tire rotation (wheel balance too?)--- which can be done at costco for free.

So how important is it to get the ATF or MTF, drain plug washer + coolant service + brake fluid flush done? What happens if I don't? Will the maintenance minder light up again if it is absolutely necessary?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks again.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks. If dealers were more like you, people like me wouldn't get ripped off!

I'll just get A12 done for 1/3 of the cost of a 30,000 mile service

·
Registered
834 Posts
Yes.

30k is not necessarily overkill. Yes, they inspect the car, but they also do the following where I work:

-cabin air filter
-engine air filter
-ATF or MTF, drain plug washer
-engine oil, filter, drain plug washer
-coolant service
-brake fluid flush
-tire rotation
-wheel balance

They used to do all the wiper inserts but removed it and lowered the price of the 30k accordingly.

It's a good amount of work for a 30k.
i think my dealer offer this one for me for like 2000000000 dollars

1 - 11 of 11 Posts