8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This friendly forum is a great place to gather info- thanks much!

I am test driving a few cars today!! I guess I am all over the map- considering a gt mustang, 300C , hyundai v6 sonata!!, mazda3, - but I will definitely buy shortly.

THE CONNECTION BETWEEN SPIRITED DRIVING STYLE- WARRANTY- NO TORQUE TILL 5K ENGINE:

Honda Standard warranty vs extended-
how much is extended? Is it recommended- bullet proof? I ask bc, I drive on the hard and fast side= "spirited" but never drag racing- a lot of acceleration and deceleration between 65- 95mph , generally about 75 mph, and if I go for the low torque si, I will be inclined to take it to 7000 rpms on a regular basis. I am renting a squishing floaty V6 sonata, very nice throttle response.
I am realizing the importance of FACTORY WARRANTY. I am very open to learn more about your experiences with warranties.
I assume ( the duration of coverage, aside ) that all new car factory warranties are identical - at least where it really counts- high dollar drive train !
But on that note, a clutch is or isn't covered??

Any comments about the 3 engines, 4cyl V6 V8 / need for speed ( but no racing ) and premature repairs??

I will likely not mod the engine unless it is a conservative "move".
ditto for suspension.

Appreciate the chance to participate here.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
.......?

·
Pillar of Objectivity
8,915 Posts
If you're looking for a good blend of style, economy, high build quality, and a sporty ride, you'd probably like the Mazda3. Personally, I felt it was a much better vehicle than the Civic in all aspects except performance (compared to the Si, at least). However, it handles very, very well, and is very smooth and zippy for it's output.

If you're looking for a more finicky, particular car, the Si would be it. The tranmission takes some getting used to, as does the Drive-by-Wire throttle (rev hang and what not), but it is a nice car. I've had a **** ton of problems with mine, but I can't deny that the Si is a very nice car.

I wouldn't buy another, with all the other options out there now, but it's a good all around package.

I like Mustang GT's, and you'd be able to get a good price on one, but they are gas hogs.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Honda has a reputation for high quality and durability - the Si is no exception. Although it makes little power on the lower RPM's, it still is well build and can handle anything you throw at it, of course with regular maintenance. There are several 100,000+ mile Si's on the forum and they have not expressed any unusual issues. The K-series motor has been around for awhile and Honda has made small revisions to it but it has proven to be a reliable and powerful motor.

I also agree that over the normal Civic, the Mazda3 is far better. A friend was making the same comparision and asked me to help him with the pros and cons. I thought the Honda would take the win as I am a true lover of Honda engineering but the Mazda3 blew it away with handling, interior, power, and transmission. Once I tested both (both in manuals of course) I told him, without a doubt, to order a Mazda3 immediately, I was that convinced. On the otherhand, I would def take the Si over the 3. I love the subtle looks over the base, power is great above 5K and for everyday driving it's wonderful. I has plenty of oomph in normal day driving and it's high end power actually makes it easier to drive in stop and go situations when you don't need 200 ft/lbs to move all thirty feet every 5 minutes lol.

I personally hate American cars, so nothing good to say about them from this biased person lol.

Good luck and choose the car that best suits you!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Dont get a mustang..booo! Everyone and their dog has one but if u wanna be like everyone else get one lol..personally Im just not a fan :wigglesmiley:

·
Registered
313 Posts
Do yourself a favor and wait 3 months for the New Hyundai Genesis coupe to arrive, I would buy the Turbo 4 banger over an si in a heartbeat if I would have had the same choice in 06. Rear Wheel Drive BTW Flame away boys!!!! :)

·
Registered
313 Posts
On another note take a look at used BMW m3's. I am in the Atlanta area and toughtimes seem to be making some of the boys have to sell some toy's.... I was very surprised what you could get for 25,000.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Decisions!

check out the 370z's its a good preformance car and faster than the mustang gt. it has a 330hp v6 stock.
I left out : I own a Subie sti
It is hard to step down in torque, once you taste that.

i cannot afford 370z

I am in the 20K ballpark.

I am definitely worried about what many are concerned about: my ability to pay over the coming years. So 30K is too crazy!

I tested an 08 si coupe with under 7K on it.

I did not particularly notice any dramatic changes in torque after 6K rpm.

The car is very nice handlng. That darn sti turbo messed me up lol.
But it is a double edged sword- i think for saving money, in terms of longevity, i must move away from turbo.

I have been renting a sonata V6- that thing moves out ( 239 hp ) instantly.
Of course, handling in a sonata is pretty lame.

Although i never drag race, or road race, or any kind of racing; I do drive a car hard- nothing abruptly shocking to drive train, but as i mentioned, i really do oscillate from 65- 90 on a regular basis.
That means the eg, V6 sonata sees 5000 rpms, pretty regularly.
I am not so sure most engines can handle that.
The si seems to be the exception ( honda originally a motorcycle co )
In si case, super high revs are needed.

Can you "guys" comment on 1. where you regularly drive, rpm wise?
2. Do you believe driving around 7k is a major longevity factor
3. Simple, non warranty threatening, mods make a significant difference

I don't expect sti, but i wished I could get a little more juice out of the otherwise wonderful si

Someone mentioned that i need 'more insurance not warranty so much'- can you explain when time permits?

The warranty is fairly "low", presumably bc of honda's great rep.
Given my near racing style, what measures can be taken to protect my investment ?

Should i consider what salesman said ( after our test drive ) dump car after 3 years?

A mechanic @ honda said non warranty voiding INTAKE, header, exhaust

the 2008 with lo miles was around $21K- good price??

Thanks for the generous responses

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Do yourself a favor and wait 3 months for the New Hyundai Genesis coupe to arrive, I would buy the Turbo 4 banger over an si in a heartbeat if I would have had the same choice in 06. Rear Wheel Drive BTW Flame away boys!!!! :)
Turbo= does not = longevity= mo money!!
Genesis is in the bible not in my poor $ plans lol

Bmw m3 yes, a friend owns the 335i... he freaking babies it- granny style lol

i really like the driving vibe in Atlanta- a very racing car kind of place
I am in s.cal.
thank you

·
Registered
11,037 Posts
ok if ur goin to buy an si buy a mugen...new ones are goin for cheap as hell now...love the platform...love the car period...just look into it

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
^ haha yeah I get so pissed off whenever I hit a pothole, and Im always worried i ran someone over because Im not used to the hard suspension of the si

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Honda in my experience is very bad about honoring their warranty. I loved a lot of things about my SI but I do not miss the BS with the quality.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts