8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have an 06 Civic EX with about 46,000 miles on it. This past May my emissions light came on, and I did the whole thing with the gas cap and turned out it wasn't the gas cap but a sensor. (At the time I didn't ask which one) I took the car to the dealership and they fixed it because the car was still under warranty.

About a month ago the light came back on and again checked the gas cap and it was ok and waited a week to see if it would go out. It never did and by now the car is not under warranty anymore so I took it to a local mechanic. My fiancee's family has been taking their cars to this mechanic for years and they trust him and have not had any problems with him.

I take the car in and they tell me that they have to replace two sensors. I was at work and busy when they called and I told them to just fix it. Turns out that one of the sensors was the that Honda replaced back in May( coolant temp sensor). I think they replaced the thermostat too. When I pick up the car they tell me that I should be ok, but I might have a problem with one more sensor.

Well turns out two days ago the emissions light came on again. First I call my mechanic to see exactly what they replaced and what sensor might be faulty. My mechanic thinks its the master flow sensor thats causing the problems. Second I called Honda and asked them what they replaced for me in May. Then I got the number for Honda of American and explained everything to them.

So after talking to HOA I have to take my car in to my dealership to run a diagnostic test to see what the problem is. Then I have to send the info to HOA to see what they will cover (if anything)

After that long story, what should I expect? Why am I having so many sensor issues? Whats a diagnostic test going to cost me? What should I expect from HOA? Anything I should or shouldn't say to get their help?

Sorry for the long post, but I need some advice.

thanks

·
Registered
107 Posts
If it is still the issue you had "fixed" while under warranty then you have claim. Call and explain your situation to the Honda service manager. They will have all of your service records on file, including any/all warranty work performed.

·
Registered
761 Posts
well first off. do you have any mods? (intake, exhaust, etc.). i would take them off when you take it to honda. i wouldnt be surprised if honda covered the repairs for you. its documented that you had the sensor replaced there, and then 6 months later the same thing fails. im sure you wont have a problem.

·
Tuna Fiddle
19,256 Posts
well all repairs should be covered for 12 months or 12,000 miles from the dealer. So even if your car is out of warranty, the work they did isn't yet (unless you already put 12k on since may). Since you already got it fixed somewhere else though, they may try to say that they won't honor the warranty. I think getting HOA involved was the best step and hopefully they will work everything out for you. Good luck, and be sure to let us know what happens! :thumb:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, I don't have any mods on the car. I was really torn if I should have taken the car back to the dealership in the first place. I was afraid of getting raped by them.

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
So I have an 06 Civic EX with about 46,000 miles on it. This past May my emissions light came on, and I did the whole thing with the gas cap and turned out it wasn't the gas cap but a sensor. (At the time I didn't ask which one) I took the car to the dealership and they fixed it because the car was still under warranty.

About a month ago the light came back on and again checked the gas cap and it was ok and waited a week to see if it would go out. It never did and by now the car is not under warranty anymore so I took it to a local mechanic. My fiancee's family has been taking their cars to this mechanic for years and they trust him and have not had any problems with him.

I take the car in and they tell me that they have to replace two sensors. I was at work and busy when they called and I told them to just fix it. Turns out that one of the sensors was the that Honda replaced back in May( coolant temp sensor). I think they replaced the thermostat too. When I pick up the car they tell me that I should be ok, but I might have a problem with one more sensor.

Well turns out two days ago the emissions light came on again. First I call my mechanic to see exactly what they replaced and what sensor might be faulty. My mechanic thinks its the master flow sensor thats causing the problems. Second I called Honda and asked them what they replaced for me in May. Then I got the number for Honda of American and explained everything to them.

So after talking to HOA I have to take my car in to my dealership to run a diagnostic test to see what the problem is. Then I have to send the info to HOA to see what they will cover (if anything)

After that long story, what should I expect? Why am I having so many sensor issues? Whats a diagnostic test going to cost me? What should I expect from HOA? Anything I should or shouldn't say to get their help?

Sorry for the long post, but I need some advice.

thanks
Ya i had my 08 lx for not even two months and the check engine light came on this morning.. so i brought it in and they installed a senor to check the air flow through the car (and i have exhaust and intake) but they didnt say anything about it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well here is a quick update. I took my car in two days to the dealership. The charge for the diagnostic test was originally $99. They told me that they had a 50% coupon for diagnostics tests so it would only cost $49. I told the girl that I had a case number from Honda Of America and she told me that she wouldn't charge me for the test until we heard from Honda.

The test showed that I had two faulty senors. One of which was replaced last May by Honda. Today Honda Of America called me and said that they will cover ALL expenses to get my car fixed. The dealership ordered the parts and I'm getting it fixed on Tuesday. :biggrin:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts