8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
18,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
To start off I want to let everyone know that I'm in to self development and I'm always looking for a new book to read or a good audio/video to listen to so I can help with my personal growth.



This thread was not designed for people to come in here and discuss religious or political views.... just simply to point out some books that I enjoy and hopefully some of you read and would kindly point a few good books my way also so others can see.


I'll update posts 2, 3 & 4 for the different links/recommendations that others post here.

Also adding "Quotes" to the 4th post. If you know any please post them and also who said it. If you don't remember who said it, post it anyways. Someone might know who said it.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
18,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Books

Book titles/Authors
1.Think & Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill
2.Rich Dad, Poor Dad by Robert T. Kiyosaki
3.Why We Want You to be Rich by Donald J. Trump & Robert T. Kiyosaki
4.How To Build A Multi-Level Money Machine by Randy Gage
5.How to Win Friends & Influence People by Dale Carnegie
6.Strangest Secret by Earl Nightingale
7.The Warren Buffett Way by Robert G. Hagstrom
8.Secrets of the Millionaires Mind by T. Harv Eker
9.Transforming Debt into Wealth by John Cummuta
10.Self-Defeating Behaviors by Milton R. Cudney
11.The Millionare Next Door by Thomas J. Stanley and William D. Danko
12.You Can If You Think You Can by Norman Vincent Peale
13.The Power Of Positive Thinking by Dr. Norman Vincent Peale
14.Trump: Think Like a Billionaire by Donald J. Trump and Meredith Mciver
15.Confessions of an Economic Hit Man by John Perkins
16.The One Minute Manager by Kenneth Blanchard
17.The Way to the Top by Donald Trump
18.The 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership by John C. Maxwell
19.The Millionaire Next Door by Thomas J. Stanley and William D. Danko
20.The Millionaire Mind by Thomas J. Stanley
21.Ishmael by Daniel Quinn
22.The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. Covey
23. Today Matters by John C. Maxwell
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
18,265 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
18,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Website

WebLinks/Audios
1. Nightingale Conant: World Leader in Success, Personal Development&Motivation.
2. Dani Johnson
3. George Zalucki
4. Zig Ziglar

Audios
1. Think Like a Millionaire by Marshall Sylver

Quotes
"All that is necessary to break the spell of inertia and frustration is this: Act as if it were impossible to fail. That is the talisman, the formula, the command of right about face which turns us from failure to success."
~Dorthea Brande~

"A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved."
~Dorthea Brande~

"To guarantee success, act as if it were impossible to fail."
~Dorthea Brande~

"The most expensive thing you can ever own is a closed mind."
~(not sure)~


"We should always hold ourselves up for examination as we seek to teach the people around us."
~John Wooden~
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,754 Posts
yo a great book/audio is the Strangest Secret by Earl Nightingale... lots of audio programs available here:

www.nightingale.com

also check nightingale products on amazon... they have a real good one for health that's called the 5 Forces of Wellness... its a real good one
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
18,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Type X said:
can i reply with my thoughts on self help books? or ONLY recomm.?
for u i'll let u post what u want and if it doesn't help the thread... well u know what happens then...:biggrin:

it's just i want this thread to stay clean and not filled with people replying back-n-forth about different opinions...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
260 Posts
bizzybearfigiblue said:
Book titles/Authors
1.Think & Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill
2.Rich Dad, Poor Dad by Robert T. Kiyosaki
3.Why We Want You to be Rich by Donald J. Trump & Robert T. Kiyosaki
4.How To Build A Multi-Level Money Machine by Randy Gage
5.How to Win Friends & Influence People by Dale Carnegie


Looks like you just want to make some money, which is different from developing one's self. I wish I could recommend something, but the only books I know of focus on becoming a successful leader.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
18,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Elmacho said:
Looks like you just want to make some money, which is different from developing one's self. I wish I could recommend something, but the only books I know of focus on becoming a successful leader.
you can post those books as well...

and yes there are many ways to improve one's self... some like health books, some focus on financial freedom, some focus on just becoming a better person... my main focus is on financial freedom b/c i feel that once that money is out of the way the rest will follow with ease... now i'm not saying that money is the most important thing here, but it does affect everything that is important...
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,117 Posts
bizzybearfigiblue said:
for u i'll let u post what u want and if it doesn't help the thread... well u know what happens then...:biggrin:

it's just i want this thread to stay clean and not filled with people replying back-n-forth about different opinions...
Acceptable :)


Personally, I'm not a fan of self help books, while they are great in preaching whatever the authors personal views are in order to stomp the thoughts and perspectives into your mind. I prefer to make my life decisions based on exactly that.... life.

A few coworkers have recommended these "self help books" or "self development" however....(and i cant stress this point enough)

Keep in mind that an author is an author...and simply that...
the person that you SHOULD be taking advice from is someone that has been at the absolute rock bottom of life.....and recreated themselves..
Odds are... that those people never pick up pencils and document it
with the exception of ONE book from someone who is actually amazing & accomplished

http://www.amazon.com/Warren-Buffett-Way-Investment-Strategies/dp/0471177504



SOOOO with all that being said.....
Interact in your daily lives with REAL PEOPLE.... take the 20 bux that you were gonna plunk down on that jibberish and get a Harry Potter book, if your that bored.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,034 Posts
watch a documentry called 'the secret.' its all about thinking and feeling positive in order to attract positive things in your life. i live by that, and i dont care if people say its bullsh*t, because ever since i changed my mentallity, life has been good :)
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
18,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Type X said:
I prefer to make my life decisions based on exactly that.... life.

Keep in mind that an author is an author...and simply that...
the person that you SHOULD be taking advice from is someone that has been at the absolute rock bottom of life.....and recreated themselves..

Odds are... that those people never pick up pencils and document it
with the exception of ONE book from someone who is actually amazing & accomplished
most of these authors do have their own personal experience written in their books...

Robert Kiyosaki for example... in his books he describes how his biological father was poor tried to implement his point of views... and one of his childhood friends father was rich and did the same... ultimately it was his choice to decide which persons' views to adopt...

Type X said:
SOOOO with all that being said.....
Interact in your daily lives with REAL PEOPLE....
the problem with making decisions based on one's own personal life experience is that most of us prolly don't have a bunch of millionaires around us...

it's called the law of association... basically meaning that you adopt the thoughts and views of others around you... if u surround yourself with positive people you eventually become a very positive person... and vice versa...
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
18,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
black07coupe said:
watch a documentry called 'the secret.' its all about thinking and feeling positive in order to attract positive things in your life. i live by that, and i dont care if people say its bullsh*t, because ever since i changed my mentallity, life has been good :)
it's funny u mentioned that b/c i posted a link to that last year and here are the responses... http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13119
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,117 Posts
bizzybearfigiblue said:
Robert Kiyosaki for example... in his books he describes how his biological father was poor tried to implement his point of views... and one of his childhood friends father was rich and did the same... ultimately it was his choice to decide which persons' views to adopt...in order to sell books
I added the missing ingredient/statement in your quote.... "see bold"





never believe someone that is making a profit from a story/statement/book etc

:thumb:

bizzybearfigiblue said:
the problem with making decisions based on one's own personal life experience is that most of us prolly don't have a bunch of millionaires around us...
Well I do... and i'm trying to teach ya!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
18,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Type X said:
never believe someone that is making a profit from a story/statement/book etc

:thumb:
it's just a way for someone to get their views across to other people...

look at it like this books cost money to make... correct?? so they have to charge people so that his particular view gets across to others... you don't have to believe it... to you it could just be a story... some people think Harry Potter is a real person...:pat:

now the info on the internet is mostly free... you can even go to the library and check-out a book for free... so in reality your not spending a dime to get this info...

also this is a world everyone has to charge a price for a specific individual effort... think about it would u go to work for free?? i think not...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,034 Posts
bizzybearfigiblue said:
it's funny u mentioned that b/c i posted a link to that last year and here are the responses... http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13119
HA! I was a server at a resturante, and I was serving these three young ladies. I was havin a real hard time, but their table was bein real nice to me. This one ***** complained about me to my manager, and these ladies said don't worry, they are gonna leave you a good tip anyway, we know. Guess what, that lady who complained left me a 40% tip, and I ended up sitting down with those ladies and talking to them. Suprisingly they started telling me things I'd heard in the 'the secret,' and I told them I heard all this from watching this documentry. Those ladies lived by the secret and were very strong believers of it. The secret states that like attracts like, and that means it was no accident that I was their server... we had attracted each other.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
18,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Type X said:
Well I do... and i'm trying to teach ya!
let me ask you w/o u getting offended, serious questions here please don't respond with sarcasm...

how long have u been around these people?
are you a millionaire yet? if not then y not?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,359 Posts
bizzybearfigiblue said:
Book titles/Authors
1.Think & Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill
2.Rich Dad, Poor Dad by Robert T. Kiyosaki
3.Why We Want You to be Rich by Donald J. Trump & Robert T. Kiyosaki
4.How To Build A Multi-Level Money Machine by Randy Gage
5.How to Win Friends & Influence People by Dale Carnegie
6.Strangest Secret by Earl Nightingale
7.The Warren Buffett Way by Robert G. Hagstrom
Damn, those are the books I've all read except "The Warren Buffett Way". I would also recommend "Secrets of the Millionaires Mind". It's a good read.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
861 Posts
bizzybearfigiblue said:
This thread was not designed for people to come in here and discuss religious or political views.... just simply to point out some books that I enjoy and hopefully some of you read and would kindly point a few good books my way also so others can see.
Given the thread's intent, I can certainly respect refraining from discussion of religious/political views, but they're strongly associated with self development or improvement or whatever the bookstores call it these days. As such, I would hope you don't mind offering examples that contain such topics?
 
1 - 20 of 106 Posts
Top