8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, first post (yay...). I've been lurking this site for a long time, and just thought I'd say I love it/you.

Alright, formalities taken care of. I've got an 06 GG coupe, and I'm shopping for spoilers. I like the look of a couple of sedan spoilers (I can't seem to find them for the coupe though!); and I'm wondering if they'll fit on my coupe. I've got the Deck lip, and I'll probably leave it on (the spoiler's I'm looking at are all top mount, no overhang), if only for now.

Will a Sedan spoiler fit on a coupe's trunk? I'm basically inquiring about the width of the trunk, I'm not sure if the lids are the same size (looking at tail lights and such); I'm well aware that I'll have to drill holes to mount the thing.

I've tried searching this on google, but all the links come back to here, and I've tried searching here, but all the posts I found are related to SI spoilers, and people suggesting trunk swaps to avoid drilling.

Thanks!

PS; I hope this is the right forum, I figured it doesn't belong under DIYs...

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
why? Is the coupe trunk wider than the sedan (or vice versa)?
Not sure what one it it but I have seen this ? asked befor on here....for all I know I have asked this ? on here too just cant remember.....lol

The sedan one sits right on the trunk and the coupe one site up off the trunk a little bit.

I found them on ebay for 100 already painted.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's what I mean; I'm looking at a wing type spoiler (it's extra wide, goes up and out then back again) and as far as I can tell it should fit a coupe, so long as the trunks are the same width (so the anchor points are still on the lid)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The spoilers I'm looking at are Mugen style hi wings (you all know what they look like), or maybe something like this:
2007 Honda Civic 4dr Custom Spoiler Wing Primer NEW on eBay.ca (item 170476532154 end time 22-May-10 13:41:24 EDT)
(I know, I know, ebay=egay)

As far as I can tell, they should both transfer to coupe with no modification. I think it should be fine, because Coupes and Sedans both order the same parts for trunk lid, right? (Aftermarket lids, like CF or w\e)

Ok; easiest way to figure this out:
Can someone measure the width of their Sedan's trunk, right at the back near the lights? I'll check out my coupe when I get home.

Thanks!

·
Registered
496 Posts
The spoilers I'm looking at are Mugen style hi wings (you all know what they look like), or maybe something like this:
2007 Honda Civic 4dr Custom Spoiler Wing Primer NEW on eBay.ca (item 170476532154 end time 22-May-10 13:41:24 EDT)
(I know, I know, ebay=egay)

As far as I can tell, they should both transfer to coupe with no modification. I think it should be fine, because Coupes and Sedans both order the same parts for trunk lid, right? (Aftermarket lids, like CF or w\e)

Ok; easiest way to figure this out:
Can someone measure the width of their Sedan's trunk, right at the back near the lights? I'll check out my coupe when I get home.

Thanks!
this is one ugly ass spoiler. really..

maybe u want that Honda Civic 06~09 4DR Mugen Style Rear Spoiler : eBay Motors (item 170469810701 end time May-07-10 06:30:42 PDT)

or that

MUGEN RR STYLE REAR WING SPOILER FOR HONDA CIVIC 8th : eBay Motors (item 170446567177 end time May-15-10 20:43:37 PDT)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
See, those are 4dr spoilers. I really do like the first one, except the overhang on the back of the trunk might get messed up by the factory lip that came on the car (and I've seen what it takes to clean up after ripping one of those off). I know the second one is pretty much identical to the Mugen style one available for a 2dr; which brings us full circle back to the question in my original post: would that fit a 2dr?

·
Registered
496 Posts
See, those are 4dr spoilers. I really do like the first one, except the overhang on the back of the trunk might get messed up by the factory lip that came on the car (and I've seen what it takes to clean up after ripping one of those off). I know the second one is pretty much identical to the Mugen style one available for a 2dr; which brings us full circle back to the question in my original post: would that fit a 2dr?
the only thing that is not good about the second link is ... ive seen a civic with that exactly same spoiler with mugen sticker on it iunno i0f its real or fake but..
you see the middle part ? its actually separated from the 2 side that holds it well that middle part can be bent... so the one i saw .. was straight but was like.. bending ... rofl.. it looks ugly.. iunno if its all the same for all those same replica.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@kain881 -- Straight but bending...I'm confused. Maybe try using some punctuation other than just "..."

Anyway, I'm probably going with the Mugen style high wing (definatly a knock off though!), I'll either have to rip off the deck spoiler to deal with the slight overhang over the edge of the trunk, or cut the wing's supports for fit (I won't know for sure untill I do a dry fit).

Since I'd like to lose my interior brake light, I had an idea. How tough do you think it would be to take one of those roof-lip spoilers, cut out some of the middle, and lay in a few LEDs and plexiglass cover? Obviosly it'd be a little challenging, but I'm most concerned about the wiring. I'm pretty sure I'd have to drill a few holes in the roof...is there any way to run the wires up there without having to drill through the interior roof too? Like up the pillar along the window, then...? That's where I get stuck.

I'm going on course in next week, so I won't be able to attack this for a couple months, but I'd really like to get everything drawn up/laid out, so when I get started I'll be able to do it properly the first time (and make a great DIY!).

·
Registered
496 Posts
when i meant.. bending like , hm on the second link you can see the spoiler is made of 3 parts the 2 on the side that holds the middle part right? well that part ive seen some in montreal, and i think past a winter they start bending its no more in a straight line. its like.. bent,.. how the hell do i say this in english lol in french its mou / plier .

·
Premium Member
6,929 Posts
Short answer - no. It won't be a direct bolt on replacement and it's more than likely something you can't handle yourself

Long answer -yes, but it will modification. Mounting points will be different. If purchase a CF trunk, you can simply mount a sedan spoiler onto the new trunk with new bolt holes, but if you try to use your OEM trunk you'll end up requiring a lot of body work and alterations to get it to work and in the end you'll end up with a ruined OEM component you'll need to replace when you sell the car unless you can find someone with the same exact tastes as your own. Either way it's a lot of work for a very minute difference in the car. I would stray away from this option unless you plan on keeping this car a very long time or have the funds to deal with any issues that will arise.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts