8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else had trouble finding a comfortable seating position with the Civic Coupe seats? I am tall (6'3") and no matter where I put the seat, there seems to be a lack of lower back support....either that or the place where my shoulder blades meet hit is out too far. At any rate, my back/shoulders are not happy lately. It almost seems that the seats were designed for someone much shorter than me.

Also, the emergency brake handle cuts into my knee when I rest my right leg to the side. I'm about ready to to in and take it off...I have an auto anyway.

Just curious if I have a whacky seat or if I'm just too tall.

IndyCivic

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'm 6'2" and have more gripes with cloth vs leather than anything else... It would be nice if these seats had some lumbar asjustment but I haven't been uncomfortable yet but then again I haven't been in the car longer than an hour yet either.

As far as the emer brake, it's at the right spot for me to rest my leg against. I thought it would really bug me but after 2k miles it feels just like the center stack did in the Jetta/Passat. You really should use it when you park too so I wouldn't advise removing it just because you have an auto.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I am 6'1" and I am also having trouble finding a comfortable position. I've tried moving the seat forward/back, up/down and adjusting the back tilt. I think the seat bottom needs to tilt slightly (i.e., front of the seat higher than the back). My previous car had this adjustment. I'm thinking about putting some nylon washers or shims in the front seat mounts to get this tilt.

I'm not having too much trouble with the emergency brake.

·
Banned
7,824 Posts
I guess it's every other person. I'm 6'1-6'2 and don't quite find it uncomfortable. Of course, I wasn't in it as long as you guys were, but honestly, my Legend is more uncomfortable, honestly.

Maybe all the Honda Techs are shorter folk :D

·
Registered
99 Posts
skittleslegend said:
I guess it's every other person. I'm 6'1-6'2 and don't quite find it uncomfortable. Of course, I wasn't in it as long as you guys were, but honestly, my Legend is more uncomfortable, honestly.

Maybe all the Honda Techs are shorter folk :D
I think there is plenty of room but somehow I can't get the ergonomics adjusted perfectly. It must depend on a person's proportions - how long are your legs vs. your body and how long are your arms.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I was thinking about shims to add a front tilt. That emergency brake is bothersome. I'm still searching for the perfect seat position. More often than the brake is the feeling of circulation cutoff. Sometimes I have to raise the seat alot to get the feeling to go away. Then I feel silly cause my head is almost touching the roof. :)

·
STIG: a tamed race driver
1,630 Posts
yeah... the lmbar support comes with buying a better car. If you get an Acura RXS or TSX, you get the adjustable lumbar. Although I'm only 5'10" I find that after about 2 hours I am custantly shifting compared to my Ford.

·
Banned
7,824 Posts
palindrome said:
I think there is plenty of room but somehow I can't get the ergonomics adjusted perfectly. It must depend on a person's proportions - how long are your legs vs. your body and how long are your arms.
It's kinda strange. You guys seem to be having these problems but I'm 6'1-6'2 and when I got in the car, I actually felt small, even compared to driving my Legend. I couldn't get the e-brake into my knees, even on purpose. :confused: I was testing a Coupe, so it may be that I wasn't in the car long enough. Btw, that e-brake was stiff as crap. lol.

·
STIG: a tamed race driver
1,630 Posts
was it an LX or EX? EX's have about 1.5" less head room because of the sunroof. So if you drive an LX, you have more head room, and the coupe has the seats set a little further back, or so it seems than the sedan.

·
Registered
20 Posts
6'4 235 and while the seats aren't bad I haven't been able to find a good position yet. I like the idea of shimming up the front some. I think that would help a lot.

·
Registered
99 Posts
DaytonOh said:
6'4 235 and while the seats aren't bad I haven't been able to find a good position yet. I like the idea of shimming up the front some. I think that would help a lot.
I read the owner's manual and it says not to remove the front seats. This is because of all the sensors in them related to the airbag system. If you find a way to shim it without causing any problems, let us know. Also, let us know if that helps with the ergonomics any.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm 5'4 and don't have any problems. At first I kept hitting my head. I came from a Jeep Liberty. I've got the seat pretty much perfect now. My bf is 6'1 and says the emergency brake bothers his knee and he's not really comfortable in the seat.

Kim

·
Registered
20 Posts
At 5' 1" I feel like the seat's too big! Especially coming from the leather racing seats my last car had. But the civic's seats aren't uncomfortable to me, and my 6' tall husband seems to like them (although there isn't a lot of headroom for him).

·
Banned
7,824 Posts
Jrfish007 said:
was it an LX or EX? EX's have about 1.5" less head room because of the sunroof. So if you drive an LX, you have more head room, and the coupe has the seats set a little further back, or so it seems than the sedan.
It was an EX. The only coupes my lot had in both AT and MT were EX's. And of the 5 sedans they have 4 are also EX's....weird.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I absolutely love the seats in my 06 4 Dr. They feel "just right". The emergency brake handle bothered me at first, but now it also feels right, my knee rests up against it just great. I took it for a long trip today on the turnpike(freeway), and this car is freakin' great at highway speeds. It's sooo smooth and feels so stable at 80+ mph, unlike my Neon, which felt like it was liftoff time on a runway at anything over 65 mph. Believe it or not, speaking of uncomfortable seats, I had an 05 Honda Element for 3 months, and traded in back in toward this current Civic. Those were the worst seats ever designed. Since they fold flat, they had NO LUMBAR, and after about 15 minutes, my back would ache badly. I would literally drive down the road playing with the seat adjusters trying to get comfortable. I tried all sorts of pads, lumbar supports, etc but just could not get comfortable. So I feel you when you say you are not comfortable, maybe after some more adjustment and driving it, it will get better. If that doen't work try one of these, they seemed to work somewhat for me in the Element.
http://www.mollersupport.com/

·
Registered
14 Posts
thanks for this recommendation

Hey, thanks for the link to the moller site. Did you use the back or the seat one before? I'm very excited about trying these.

·
Registered
7,438 Posts
I can't imagine anyone would be serious about removing their e-brake, but it is worth noting if you were to somehow remove it your car would not pass inspection.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm 5'10 and I think the seats are super comfy ande I love them. To each his own I guess. I also came from a 95 rodeo so that might have something to do with it. I also find the car to be erganomically perfect for me at least.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts