8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Seafoam is really good. It is basically just an injector/carburator cleaner.

For the most part it is not really necessary to use on newer cars as long as you are using good quality gas. But as far as injector cleaners go I think it is definitely one of the better ones.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
I guess it depends on how dirty your engine is. If you have an engine with 150,000+ miles on it and you run a whole bottle through pretty concentrated (like putting a whole bottle in a gas tank with only a couple gallons in it) it could loosen up a lot of carbon and other build-up which you wouldn't want to leave in your system.

But if you have a newer car, or a car which has had high quality gas run in it and maybe even injector cleaner occasionally this shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
968 Posts
seafoam is good stuff! ive been using seafoam on my cars for years now and it helps out a lot. just put 1/3 of the bottle into your gas tank, then put another 1/3 of the bottle into your oil. the last part is kinda tricky and requires 2 people. the rest of the bottle goes into your brake booster vacuum hose going into your intake manifold. you will need one person to feed it into the line then the other person start the car and keep the revs at 3500rpms. it will smoke a lot depending on how dirty your engine is. keep the high idle until the smoke clears out. this will set off a CEL for random misfires but if you reset ECU it will never come back. you then have to change the oil and spark plugs. after you do all this to your car it feels just like brand new! it is only recommended to do this every 30K miles. i also heard if you do it too much it will burn your seals and cat away! just use it sparingly through the vacuum hose but i also just use it as a fuel injector cleaner. it works great alone as a fuel system cleaner. just dump a full bottle of this stuff in your tank with a tank full of high octane and drive that *****! lol

·
Registered
494 Posts
BigT said:
I guess it depends on how dirty your engine is. If you have an engine with 150,000+ miles on it and you run a whole bottle through pretty concentrated (like putting a whole bottle in a gas tank with only a couple gallons in it) it could loosen up a lot of carbon and other build-up which you wouldn't want to leave in your system.

But if you have a newer car, or a car which has had high quality gas run in it and maybe even injector cleaner occasionally this shouldn't be a problem.
The efficiency of modern engines burning modern unleaded gasoline means that engines don't carbon up like they used to. I pulled the heads off of our nine year old minivan (with an engine that isn't any where near as efficient as the R18 and K20 Civic engines) this last summer when the engine had well over 140K on it and there was virtually no carbon anywhere, just a thin surface layer, and I mean real thin.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I had 130k miles on my Celica when I used seafoam. That thing works great, like other people say, its alot easier with two people when you use it on your vacuum hose. When I first used it my neighbors came out of their house because they thought something was on fire with all the smoke. Depending on how bad the carbon build up is, you can get alot of smoke so make sure you do it in a open area. After I used it, my idle was alot more smoother and acceleration felt smooth as well.

·
Registered
968 Posts
shipo said:
The efficiency of modern engines burning modern unleaded gasoline means that engines don't carbon up like they used to. I pulled the heads off of our nine year old minivan (with an engine that isn't any where near as efficient as the R18 and K20 Civic engines) this last summer when the engine had well over 140K on it and there was virtually no carbon anywhere, just a thin surface layer, and I mean real thin.
maybe you should pull out your spark plugs and look at them.

·
Registered
968 Posts
shipo said:
if we are burning gasoline then no matter what there will be carbon.

·
Premium Member
13,469 Posts
i work at a volvo truck shop, we had one truck that was rinning one one dead cylender, we did a cut out test and it was #2, well the head was pulled off.

the one piston was Totaly filled in(they are normaly coned in the center) with the outline of the valves and injector, but other then that it was all filled in, that was the most carbon that i have ever seen, its on a egr engine and proof that if something goes wrong then anything can happen and it can carbon up.

·
Registered
494 Posts
iknowmysh1t said:
maybe you should pull out your spark plugs and look at them.
Did you even read my post? I said I pulled the cylinder heads off, and last time I checked, cylinder heads usually include the spark plugs too (at least for gasoline engines). Like I said, that engine had over 140,000 miles on it and there was virtually no carbon buildup.

·
Registered
10,957 Posts
shipo said:

I agree. I like to use the seafoam in the spray can called deep creep in the EGR system. It can clean up the intake manifold from the EGR junk. I learned about this from when I owend a LT1 V8 camaro, which was known for having EGR gunk buildup. Also used seafoam to keep the VNT vanes in my diesel turbo clean.

But I agree with shipo that using cleaners in the oil and in the gas tank is near worthless and could cause more harm than good. Most of them are just kerosene for cleaner with a minute amount of other stuff. The only time I would use a fuel cleaner is on a long trip that I know I will use up the whole tank.

For sure wouldn't use it in a modern engines oil

1 - 12 of 12 Posts