8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew how to remove scratches from the plastic dashboard we have in the civics? I just got my 2008 Fiji Blue Si on Friday and there are a couple of scratches on the interior plastic and I can't get them out.

Thanks,
Dave

·
Pillar of Objectivity
8,915 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum! You'll find a ton of information with the users and in previous threads.

If you weren't aware, the 8th generation Civics (including Si models) have very soft plastics on the interior, and they are incredibly prone to scratching, marring, scuffing, and sometimes fading.

The best thing you can do to protect this from happening anymore is by being absurdly anal about what touches the dash. That means no feet up on the dash, no sharp objects like purses, umbrellas, wire, etc), and using Armor-All or something similar regularly. Avoid touching the plastics if at all possible.

A theory is that the plastics "harden" over time, from talking to a few users on here. I've noticed that my plastics don't scratch as much as they used to when I first bougth the car, but this could be psychological, at best.

Also, my biggest word of warning is BE CAREFUL WHEN INSERTING THE KEY. The plastic in the keyhole area is absurdly soft and almost every Civic I see has plastic scratches like crazy there.

Hope this helps a bit.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mike. I read some forums and members have said that Meguiars Gold Class Rubber/Vinyl Protectant works well on interior scratches. And Goo-Gone works on shoe scuffs on the door panels.

·
Pillar of Objectivity
8,915 Posts
CSi007 said:
Thanks Mike. I read some forums and members have said that Meguiars Gold Class Rubber/Vinyl Protectant works well on interior scratches. And Goo-Gone works on shoe scuffs on the door panels.
No problem! If you have any other questions, feel free to ask!

The biggest thing you can do is primary prevention: learn not to touch the plastics with any part of your body, especially feet.

Another thing to mention is to be very careful with flinging your seatbelt back into the not-in-use position: if the buckle hits the plastic, over time you're going to have nicks and dings in your plastic where it hits. Even being careful, I have a ton on my passenger side, despite warning guests in the car.

·
Premium Member
19,589 Posts
Mike, are you coming to the meet on 11/11? I want to take a look at your Si. Rasky will be there as well.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
yea mine has scratched in a couple places by just barely touching it. have some on the drivers doorway from aciddently brushing it when i stepped out.

just gotta be a little more delicate with this interior lol

·
Pillar of Objectivity
8,915 Posts
NitrousG35 said:
Mike, are you coming to the meet on 11/11? I want to take a look at your Si. Rasky will be there as well.
Wouldn't miss it for the world. I hope I can have my damage to the side of my front bumper fixed by then, but it's unlikely. I'll see if I can't badger my insurance into going faster than a snail's pace.

Oh well, it's minimal. I still have periodic rattles that appear and disappear on the interior, but nothing to lose (much) sleep over. I wish I had time/place to throw an extra coat of Z-2 on for some added shine, though it is pretty shiny.

I also need to have Chad look at the swirls in my paint. I use quick-detailer too much, and it's starting to show.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts