8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What happened was I was parking my car at work (reverse), and there was a small pile of old snow/ice/gravel at the front of the stall that I didn't notice. Long story short I went back as far as I normally go, which was too far back with the crud there, and scratched up the paint down by the tow hook on my car.

Would touch up paint, wet sand, and polishing work?

I'm assuming I would have to sand the areas down a little bit first to get rid of the paint peeling up, should I just wet sand the whole area as a square or just the small spots that have the damage? Or should I just try some polish or ScratchX on the area first?

This is what I'm thinking of doing:

1. Polish the area and try to clean it up. If that doesn't work, try a light wet sand?

2. Fill the scratches with touch up paint with the toothpick method, let dry, repeat every 4 hours until the paint is higher than the OEM paint.

3. Wet sand gently with 3000 grit sandpaper until the touchup paint is even with OEM paint.

4. Apply clear coat to area and let dry.

5. Wet sand gently again with 3000 grit sandpaper until the touchup paint is even with OEM paint.

6. Polish area by hand until the area wet sanded looks good as new.

Would that work? Here is what the damage looks like. It's just a small area down by the tow hook - the picture is probably showing 6" X 4" of the actual bumper.

·
Registered
18,275 Posts
^ You sound like you know what your doing. It looks to me from the pics that the scratches are down to the paint so a quick QD and wax aint gonna fly.

In terms of the touch up, it seems like it could work, but i always like to err on the side of caution and take my car to the shop for an estimate.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^ You sound like you know what your doing. It looks to me from the pics that the scratches are down to the paint so a quick QD and wax aint gonna fly.

In terms of the touch up, it seems like it could work, but i always like to err on the side of caution and take my car to the shop for an estimate.
Well that's what I've learned just reading around the forums, I checked out the stickied post about repairing paint.

I've never wet sanded and am a bit afraid I'm gonna take off the clear coat on the surrounding area. I also called the dealership near me and the only TW touch up paint they have is in a pen. How do I get the paint from the pen onto a tooth pick?

And yeah, I'm going to email out the pictures to a couple mobile paint repair companies and see about how much they would charge for the damage.

·
Registered
752 Posts
The pen tip is removable on the touch up pen. It also has a small brush on the inside (like a nail polish brush), but a toothpick works better. I've tried 3 pens (tw, nhbp, mr) and found that they really aren't a perfect match, but they get the job done for rock chips and other minor blemishes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.