8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started round 3 of school last night. I already have an Associates and a Bachelors but I'm going to round 4 with it so I can put it on cruise control (life) when I'm done with all of it. I thought of something that might be of some use to the people on the 8th that are about to start or think about starting college.

In hindsight I wish I would have dropped out of high school at the earliest possible time I could have, which I think is 16 years old around here. If I had to do it over again....I would have dropped out of high school, taken my GED as quickly as possible and registered for junior college immediately. Now this isn't for everyone but like I said this is what I'd do if I could do it all over. I'm starting round 3 of school and this is about the time they tell you to do it, after you have some years of work under your belt (MBA program). I disagree with that and I think you should hammer it all out as quickly as possible so you can move on in life to other things. High school was a joke for me, academically, and looking back a waste of time. It was cool for the life experience and all and for the chics but there are better looking girls at JC anyway. The local junior colleges only require a Diploma or GED around here and with your parents' consent you can start JC early, a few years early. JC isn't much harder than High School, in fact it's kind of High School part II except slightly more work when you are there but less time at school. I mean depending on your class schedule you can go either 2 days a week or 3. You'd still get to hang out with your people from High School except you'd be 2 years ahead of the game. And being the 16 year old at college would have its' advantages if you know what I mean :D

If you were slick you'd have a Masters by the time most got their Bachelors, or you'd simply be 20 years old with a Bachelors and entering the workforce making $ for whatever you want to spend on it. Like I said this isn't for anyone but the street hustlers. Starting back again I wish I hadn't listened to the profs and advisers. If I had my own kid this is what I'd tell them to do. Maybe not every junior college would let you do this around the country but the one I'm attending will.

Special Admissions
The following categories are considered special admits:

1. International students holding F-1 & F-2 visas.
2. High school students who have completed the 11th grade requesting admission to the Project First Step Program (concurrent high school enrollment).
3. Students in grades 9-11 who have exceptional ability, requesting early admission consideration.
4. Students under 18 years of age without high school diploma or equivalent.
5. Home school students under the age of 18.

See the college catalog for policies. Students under special admissions, except F1 and F2 visas, please contact the Special Admissions Coordinator. Students under 16, must meet with the Associate Dean for Recruitment and Programs for New Students.
If you were a decent student and got your parents to go for it you could be getting some of this knocked out young, even if you still want to finish HS.
If I could do it over again I would dropped out at 16 and got down to business. JC is just as easy as HS IMO.

Disclaimer: I am in no way recommending anyone be a dumbass droput. This is a way to get ahead much quicker and utilize your time on this Green Earth more efficiently. If I had done this, damn! I wish someone would have told me I had this option. At the minimum I would have done one of the programs where I go to college my senior year of HS, even a year head start would have been the bomb.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In High School I was at the clubs, weeknights too, DJ'ing on the weekend. I had a mf'in blast. So yeah if you are into the stereotypical High School deal that they try to sell you then you might wanna roll like that. High school didn't prep me for anything. I think it's the age more so than anything to do with school. You can have just as much fun or more doing what I described above. You'd only have to go to school a couple of days a week hence more time to f off and get laid :D

·
Registered
419 Posts
I would never say that high school was as good as it gets. College, that's where its at. You're learning stuff that's actually useful, and you can actually go party and do what you want since you're away from home.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I worked my way through college but I still had fun, did live on my own through all of it and paid my own way. I had more fun after college when I was getting paid very well, and didn't have to go to school. I had plenty of discretionary income to blow on parts for the motorbikes in the garage. I would have had ten times the fun if I had been making good money at 21. I graduated HS with a 4.0 and slept through class, waste of time for me. 21 or 22 making 60, 70k, yeah now that would have been the chit.

·
Registered
510 Posts
If you ask me, that's just lazy. You're as well just finishing HS instead of having "high school dropout" and "POS community college graduate" on your record.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sli(k said:
If you ask me, that's just lazy. You're as well just finishing HS instead of having "high school dropout" and "POS community college graduate" on your record.
LOL if that is all you do. That is not what I suggested either and lazy it isn't. After JC you go straight to a good 4 year and finish it with a BS. The school I graduated from is one of the best in the state for my degree (BS in MIS). What I suggested is someone getting their Bachelors 2 years earlier than someone going the traditional route. And newsflash, if you have a Bachelors, well I haven't worked at one company where they asked about high school, or anything to do with it really. Once you have a 4 year degree I really don't think anyone gives a **** unless you want to be an officer in the military or something similar. Your average company out there, well they are more concerned with higher education. And nobody keeps a "record" but the police :biggrin: . You can call it anything you want but it isn't lazy. If anything an employer would be more impressed that someone took the initiative to get it done earlier. I went the JC route prior to my 4 year and I liked it, it was easy, and I still have my Bachelors from a 4 year. That "POS community college" degree got my foot in the door for a few jobs and I was making over 60k in my junior year. I never paid a dime out of my own pocket throughout the whole deal for books or tuition either. Like I said, it's a way to get ahead for some but I already said it isn't for everyone.

·
Registered
14 Posts
i think what he means is from the community college transfer out to a state university or something of equivalence.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts