8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been lurking here for awhile, basically since I started to think I would buy a 8th gen civic. Well, I did yesterday, figured I would share my experience with my fellow K/W (and TO) people.

I've been doing lots of research on how to maximize savings and land the deal with a dealer that I wouldn't mind doing business with and that doesn't play games/bs/etc. So I fired off an email to about 12 different dealerships (11 in GTA, 1 to Kitchener). Before this, I have been to Waterloo Honda to get a test drive and talk about pricing. Basically, the sales guy at Waterloo said he can't (more like won't) sell it to me at invoice price, but would match a reasonable offer that I get while I was looking for the best price. Well after talking to many dealerships, I got an attractive offer from Kitchener Honda (anything over invoice + 15% off accessories). Some Toronto dealerships had great offers too (some were a bit lower actually even), but I preferred to keep it in the K/W area for convenience. So I called the Waterloo sales guy stating the offers I was given. As soon as I told him the offers I was getting, he basically just said "yeah you should go buy it there then" then promptly hung up.

Did this guy pass sales 101? What kind of way is that to treat a potential customer? Guy didn't even try to convince me or anything, just hung up on me. I mean I'm not going to be paying MSRP, but a sale is a sale. More than that, it builds your reputation as a good dealership. Well let's just say after that experience, I will never be going back there again. I guess all the rumours about Waterloo Honda being terrible were correct (I gave them the benefit of the doubt).

Anyway, so I contacted the sales guy in Kitchener Honda. He was really straight to the point and non-bs. I really like guys like that, doesn't sit there and try to sugar coat things and spew a lot of bs with no actual content/substance. Needless to say, I was quite impressed with Kitchener Honda (their dealership building itself isn't as nice as Waterloo's though), and sure enough, I finalized the deal there. Put my 15k down for a LX coupe ASM A/T, 36 months @ 0.9% APR (gotta love this time of the year). OTD price was basically $25k.

Conclusion: If you're looking to buy a Honda in the K/W, don't go to Waterloo. Stick with Kitchener, their sales manager and sales reps are good guys and I definitely would return there for any future purchases.

With that out of the way, I'm officially joining the 8thcivic K/W division in a few days (car wasn't in stock, so it'll take a few days to arrive). I might even be able to make K/W meets. Looking forward to reading/posting here more often.

Can't wait to :vtec:

·
Premium Member
18,457 Posts
welcome! sounds like you got a good deal!

interestingly though when i was a WLU student I went to Waterloo Honda to test their old civic and I thought the dealership was pretty good. They let me test it out myself (no sales guy accompaniment) which I liked a lot, it was the first one I had like that.

He also broke down a lease pretty fairly and told me when the best time to buy was. Needless to say I didn't buy back then but I liked that place.

Congrats on the car!

Can't wait for pics! I love ASM :D

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I got a pretty good deal. Paid like 150 over invoice, which I don't mind too much, as the sales guy needs something to feel motivated.

I did the test drive in Waterloo as well, and I thought initially the sales rep was a good guy to deal with. He was awesome right up until I told him my offers, he just two-faced on me. So yeah, I definitely can't recommend Waterloo Honda (well at least that particular salesman. If anyone needs a specific name to avoid, you can PM me).

Thanks for the warm welcome. I'll probably post pics after I get my ceramic tints done, don't think people would be interested in bone stock pics.

Edit: Wow, you joined 6 months before me, but you have over 10k posts! That's pretty impressive.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
yeah stay away from waterloo honda, i bought mine there, and the customer service there is horrible, i went to them for an oil change, went back to do some work, they said they dun even have me on the system! The only reason i got my car from them was the Si was backed up like crazy in Toronto. Even kitchener Honda gave me a call when they got the Si in, i had to call waterloo honda to see if my car was in yet.

unless you have to be there, i say steer clear from them.

the best experience i've had is with markham honda. their sales are pretty good, not pushy and good people to talk to. none of them treated me like some bullshit kid, all respect from that place.

·
Premium Member
18,457 Posts
Silver Fox said:
Yeah, I got a pretty good deal. Paid like 150 over invoice, which I don't mind too much, as the sales guy needs something to feel motivated.

I did the test drive in Waterloo as well, and I thought initially the sales rep was a good guy to deal with. He was awesome right up until I told him my offers, he just two-faced on me. So yeah, I definitely can't recommend Waterloo Honda (well at least that particular salesman. If anyone needs a specific name to avoid, you can PM me).

Thanks for the warm welcome. I'll probably post pics after I get my ceramic tints done, don't think people would be interested in bone stock pics.

Edit: Wow, you joined 6 months before me, but you have over 10k posts! That's pretty impressive.
lol... i'm an 8thcivic addict!

that's a great deal! when i bought in April last year I had something a little more over invoice - I called Parkview in TO (closet to me at the time) and they couldn't match. Same lame - "okay, enjoy" reply.

Where are you planning to get your tints done? It seems that the going rate is about $200-220 for good tint, so don't feel like you need to shell out $300. Also I'd recommend Audio Heaven in Markham if you are ever out this way.

Actually now that I just wrote that I don't know how much ceramic tints go for specifically, but A-H has both types.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I heard pretty good things about Audio Heaven, I may check them out. Any other reputable places that do a good tint job around GTA/Golden Horseshoe?

Also, what's the legal limit on tint % for Ontario? I was thinking maybe 20% all-around or maybe 35% front/20% back.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Noice! I emailed a bunch of dealers as well for a quote ... everything went so much smoother.

And I basically determined which sales reps were serious about a sale and which reps were douches by the way they responded to my email. Like using all caps and incomplete sentences ... that one went right into my trash folder.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This was one of the email responses:

------------

Thank you for contacting xxx Honda via e-mail.

You have made a great choice in the 2007 Honda Civic Couple, the new
Civic boasts more standard safety features than any other car in its
class and also offers excellent fuel economy. I actually drive the
exact same Coupe LX in
Galaxy Grey.

I realise that you have a lot of choice as to where to place your
business, I want to assure you we have a precise process in place to
make buying your new car stress free and a pleasant experience.

We are Canada's xxx Honda dealership and we have a first class
reputation with all of our loyal customer base, I want you to become
part of our family.

I'm going to gather together some information to give you a special price.

Thank you once again for giving us an opportunity to earn your business.

-----------

That's what I mean by bs. There's literally no substance there, not even a starting price.

Guess where I didn't go to buy my car.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
wing_gundam said:
Where are you planning to get your tints done? It seems that the going rate is about $200-220 for good tint, so don't feel like you need to shell out $300. Also I'd recommend Audio Heaven in Markham if you are ever out this way.
I got my tint done at Audio Heaven both on my sedan and my wife's sedan. You can't beat their c/s service and lifetime warranty.

Getting to the point, though, welcome to the forum Silver Fox.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
K, need some opinions.

Apparently they can't find a LX ASM coupe A/T. So this really sucks. I figure there are 4 options I can go with:

- get them to replace it with a 08 one, no extra pay
- get them to replace it with EX rather than LX, no extra pay
- get them to replace it with either NBP or TW, get some discount

Which would be the most feasible and best option to go with? I really did want ASM, but do you think it's reasonable to demand either an 08 or EX for the same price? I mean, I've been waiting for a week now and I only got a call telling me they couldn't find one today.

Why are they even selling cars if production stopped and they can't even find any? Seems wrong imo.

·
Premium Member
18,457 Posts
I really don't think you can make that kind of demand for an Ex successfully unless your paying cash... I mean you already got a pretty good deal. If your doing cash maybe for like an 06 or 07 Ex, but I'd wait for an 08 myself - it will retain its value longer b/c of the model year.

Don't forget a car depreciates like a couple grand the minute you "buy it" ie PDI and take it off the lot. Also practically depreciates 1/3 in the first year, then slower etc. (declining balance). If your looking at an 07, even a new one with 0kms, its still a year old when your going to sell it. I mean you might see cars listed for more on auto trader, but remember, that's teh asking price, not the selling price :)

·
Registered
909 Posts
Last October I went looking for a new car.....

Kitchener Honda (2 blocks from my house) couldn't find the car I was looking for either. Said there were none in Canada.

I visited Olympic (who gave me a better deal than Kitchener Honda) and ordered an '07. Then after I signed the paperwork and was leaving.........I was talking with the guy......and he told me he had an '06 on the lot!!! He offered to rip up the order and sell me the one on the lot for $800 discount.

So I ended up paying $15200 + taxes for my Civic coupe. Came to $19,000 drive away ;) at Olympic Honda.

Now with warantee work, Kitchener Honda is being pricks about it because they say I should take it back to the dealer where I bought it........even though I can WALK to Kitchener Honda in 5 minutes :(

Waterloo Honda were very unreasonable and didn't even WANT to sell me the Civic I asked for......and then had the nerve to ask for MSRP.

Rob

·
Registered
4,584 Posts
Avenger said:
......and then had the nerve to ask for MSRP.
Remember that Honda's are not crappy domestics that sit on the lot for a year or more.

Hence thats why they dont do alot of wheeling and dealing like the NA car dealers :thumb:

·
Registered
909 Posts
Zesti1 said:
Remember that Honda's are not crappy domestics that sit on the lot for a year or more.

Hence thats why they dont do alot of wheeling and dealing like the NA car dealers :thumb:
Any dealership that asks for MSRP OBVIOUSLY is not interested in actually selling cars.

I ended up getting a total of $2000 off.......so I was satisfied with that. With my N/A car, I ordered it directly from the factory......and I got $6k off of MSRP :)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts