8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the Si i am in the process of buying has a salvage title on it. im buying it from a reputable business that is known for restoring salvage vehicles. the car comes with all the receipts from parts that were replaced. all the parts were replaced with OEM parts. The car was inspected by a honda dealer and they said everything was perfect.

my questions are: since i plan on driving this car untill it dies or is not really worth selling, are there any big drawbacks to buying the salvage car? what will my insurance company do about the salvage car? is there any way of getting a better title if i show someone the receipts an get another inspection by the highway patrol or something?

thanks.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
How much are they selling it for?

I believe Salvage Cars lose like 50% value (maybe more). Insurance won't cover it, they will only give you liability so anything that happens, will come out of your own wallet for that Si. But yea, your trading off insurance for the price of the car.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
If you are buying it at 50-60% of retail bluebook, take it. FYI most banks wont finance more than 50% of its book value.

·
Banned
2,406 Posts
i would say getting a salvaged car may not be a bad deal, depends on initial damage, who fixed it, what parts they used, inspections on everything to make sure they are ok . and last of all PRICE, definately dont get ripped off on a salvage titled car. if you plan on driving it and not selling it til its junk then sounds good. answer to your question is no it will always have a salvaged title no matter what you do

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
my friend just bought a 2000 ex with a rebuilt salvage title... if his car breaks... dont buy it lol
he doesnt know how to drive stick yet so he should be getting it soon

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
its an 06 with 7000 miles on it with all the HFP stuff, 18 inch wheels for 16,000. the car is basically brand new, theres no sign of anyone even sitting in it or even a bird pooping on it. the front bumper and hood were replaced. the parts come with receipt.

so i wont get any coverage even if i do this:

Salvage Title to Regular Title

There are necessary procedures to complete in order to acquire a Certificate of Title for a salvage vehicle made roadworthy but still holding a salvage title.

* Fill out a Salvage Title Statement of Fact. This form requests declaration of the methods and parts used to transform the vehicle into a condition deemed acceptable to drive on Colorado roads.

* On the salvage title, sign off in the provided area attesting to the vehicle being roadworthy.

* As stated by Colorado law, the words "Rebuilt From Salvage" are required to be etched or stamped onto the vehicle in letters 1/4 inch high or larger. On most motor vehicles, the proper spot is the post to which the driver's door fastens.

* Have the vehicle inspected (fee of $20 for this service) and a Verification of Vehicle Identification Number completed by a law enforcement officer. Contact your local title and registration office for a referral. An inspection must be less than one year old.

* Bring all of the forms, receipts for parts, and inspection approval to the title and registration office to complete the application process.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
even with that low mileage? and im telling you everything is perfect, i had it checked at a dealer and there is nothing in the finish at all.

ahh, i hate not knowing about these things...

and does anyone know about that procedure i posted about the salvage to regular title?

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i dont get how it can be salvage though...isnt salvage spose to be 75% of the value in damage..but the things that were replaced were: front bumper, hood, airbag, driverside fender. how can that be 75% of the value. and the receipts add up to about $2,300.

ah, this is making me feel like im getting into something bad. besides the fact that i paid too much, am i going to have problems if i get the title changed to rebuilt (procedure quoted above from DMV site)

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i dont get how it can be salvage though...isnt salvage spose to be 75% of the value in damage..but the things that were replaced were: front bumper, hood, airbag, driverside fender. how can that be 75% of the value. and the receipts add up to about $2,300.

and i still dont understand, can i get insurance

ah, this is making me feel like im getting into something bad. besides the fact that i paid too much, am i going to have problems if i get the title changed to rebuilt (procedure quoted above from DMV site)

i already tried posting this, it didnt show up, so i this is a dupe im sorry

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
16 thousand is WAY to much! I would say 9 to 10 thousand is reasonable, and that is only if you plan on never selling the car.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i dont plan on selling it, it should last me a while

but i still dont get it. will i be able to get insurance? will my rates be high?

even after its been inspected by the state patrol and titled rebuilt?

this is pissing me off now. is a nice car for a good price, with no miles...whats so bad about the salvage title except for the resale value?

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
i dont plan on selling it, it should last me a while

but i still dont get it. will i be able to get insurance? will my rates be high?

even after its been inspected by the state patrol and titled rebuilt?

this is pissing me off now. is a nice car for a good price, with no miles...whats so bad about the salvage title except for the resale value?

it's an insurance liability, and it's harder to get a salvaged vehicle registered in most states. Not to mention, when you toss the word salvage on there, most people assume the worst.

And 16k is almost what you can get a used one for with some serious mileage on it

·
Premium Member
10,506 Posts
Ok, I used to work as an insurance adjuster and I once had a salvaged vehicle...Here's my .02

Your salvaged vehicle is worth f**k all! There is NO way to get a non-salvaged title. As far as insurance coverage...They will likely insure it, but if you total it expect to get .65 for the car due to the title (that also goes for the other person's insurance should they be at fault)...It's really not a good idea to buy one unless: A. The price is OUTSTANDING, B: the car is a POS anyway and has little value regardless of the title...

As far as when a car is "salvage" is purely up to the insurance company...There is no "set" percentage. I had my 83 Rabbit GTI totaled for a broken strut and damaged fender (repair cost $900). Yet, the car was worth ~1000

I went through all the BS to get it back on the road and drove it for 2 more years...

Oh, and 16k is a major rip-off for an Si on a salvaged title!

Just call your insurance agent re insurance! They will tell you in 30 seconds!

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
The price is unreasonably high. You could find a good 06 for roughly the same price with a clean title. These guys selling the car are ripping you off. Why would you pay 16,000 for a car that is worth 9? Better yet pay 16,000 for a car that will never be worth anything, and whos body's integrity has been comprimised, when you could pay a little more and get one that is in great condition, with a clean title. Its a ripp off.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yeah...it seemed like a good price, i was so excited that i found a 8th gen si with 7000 miles that i could afford, i didnt see any that low

eff...so, if i dont crash it im fine...kinda fantastic :Mad:

aside from th price i wont have that much trouble..

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.