8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad's been thinking about selling his '05 s2k and buying a used NSX or Elise. Now, it may be a while because he has to be in the right mood to buy an expensive car (i.e., drunk, in Florida, thats how he got the s2k), but anyways, is it worth selling the s2000 for a used NSX? advantages? disadvantages?

btw, don't bother responding to the Elise part, I've got another forum for that, and I don't think that will pan out, he is looking for something he can drive to work every once in a while instead of his highway beater ('05 Accord v6 AT EX), and he doesn't want to deal with the Lotus quirks. Although he still wants something as fun and as tossable as the s2000.

Thoughts? Experiences with these cars?

btw, and advice in buying used? He has never really bought a used car before.

·
Registered
953 Posts
So I've heard that the NSX is very expensive to upkeep. Make sure the used one has gone through a timing belt change and everything. (Thats what I've heard, so someone please elaborate and correct me, haha)

·
Registered
15,798 Posts
Well if a 30 thousand dollar car is his highway beater.. I think he can do better than an NSX!

If it were my dad, I would be trying to push him into a heavy luxury sedan. But if he wants something to toss around, how about one of the BMW roadsters? I love those.. or maybe an ariel atom? =P

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I Vtec said:
Well if a 30 thousand dollar car is his highway beater.. I think he can do better than an NSX!

If it were my dad, I would be trying to push him into a heavy luxury sedan. But if he wants something to toss around, how about one of the BMW roadsters? I love those.. or maybe an ariel atom? =P
well, he looked at the Lotus Elise and Exige, and he thinks they are a bit to crazy for him right now (although if he lived in California, well, lived there more than 1/3 of the year like he does now he would get one), so I doubt he would get the Atom.

As far as the sedan he said he will probably pick up a TL or TL-S next year, or when he totals his accord (he has a habit of doing that), but thats the highway beater car (the car that is cleaned yearly and puts on about 30k miles a year, oil changes happen every once in a while, all rims are curbed, versus only half on the s2000 :biggrin:, front bumper is almost paintless, etc.), which is seperate from his fun car, both cars get the sh!t beat out of them, and I think he wants to stick with Honda / Acura.

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
This really depends on what year NSX he's buying into. The early Targas are usually softer, but quite a bit cheaper. If he's looking for a club racer or just a better overall drive, then he'll want the fixed roof version. Personally, if your dad is as compulsive as you say he is, I'd keep his eyes set firmly on the last model year NSX.

Beauty about the NSX is that it still looks good. Well, somewhat dated, but still a very good looking car. It has remarkable handling, and the benefits of having a mid-engined layout. He's going to suffer gas-wise, but that's part and parcel with buying a sports car.

Still, NSX-T or not, I'd still take the NSX over the S2k. It's fast, looks good, and is an enjoyable drive. Besides, EVERYBODY owns an S2k nowadays, how many NSXs do you see on the road?

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
spocheld said:
NSX>Civic Si>S2K, my $0.02

What about an M3? That is one of my dream cars.
It'd be a nice time to buy the older one, once the newer one come out. :D

One of my dreams is also the lower end M cars (M3, Z4 M Coupe/Roadster...preferably Roadster) in Alpine White with the Cinnamon Interior. 2003+ for the M3 (LED tails and some apparently highly needed fixes, though the HIDs went a little downhill IIRC) or the obvious 2006+ Z4 Ms...

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
wait, did he just say Si > s2k?

ummmm, thats a typo, right?

M3 is a nice car, so is the new 335i, but he really isn't a bimmer fan, just doesn't work out for a car you are going to put a ton of miles on with almost no work.

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
TJ213 said:

M3 is a nice car, so is the new 335i, but he really isn't a bimmer fan, just doesn't work out for a car you are going to put a ton of miles on with almost no work.
At least we didn't say Jag XKR or Aston DB7. :D

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
actually we were out in the LA area last week and he was really suprised at how low the prices were for the Maseratis, he still would never buy one, but it was almost as suprising as when we saw the window sticker of an Elise the first time.

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
I was talking with Beverly Hills Lotus and they gave me 44k with the hard top, 3m body guard, sports pack, and touring pack (IIRC). Found that deal on eBay, and asked if I could walk-in with the Civic for trade-in. They said yes. :D So, maybe in a year or two, I get my REAL dream car --- Orange Elise with options. Exige is just TOO hardcore for me...maybe after a few track days or so....

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Izzy said:
I was talking with Beverly Hills Lotus and they gave me 44k with the hard top, 3m body guard, sports pack, and touring pack (IIRC). Found that deal on eBay, and asked if I could walk-in with the Civic for trade-in. They said yes. :D So, maybe in a year or two, I get my REAL dream car --- Orange Elise with options. Exige is just TOO hardcore for me...maybe after a few track days or so....
44k new? sounds like a great deal, especialy with those options.

better have a backup car though, I know a few Lotus owners and a mild fender bender can mean not having the car for a long time, plus the trunk is kind of small.

On the upside they are suprisingly comforatable cars. Even the Exige wasn't that bad, except I was trying really hard not to scuff the side sill when I got in, and not to honk the horn when I grabbed the wheel. The pedal position is kind of wierd too, but overall it felt pretty good considering what the car is.

·
Banned
441 Posts
there is a guy here selling a nsx for $1000. blown engine. 2002. a couple mechanics said it was in fantastic shape otherwise, but the guy has had the worst luck moving it out of his yard. it sits in the corner of his shed collecting bird poop

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
TJ213 said:

smart man.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Basically off topic, but last week I was working on my car. Changed the oil, cleaned the air filter, rotated the tires, cleaned all the sensors . . . just minor stuff. On my shakedown/ECU reset drive, I'm spooled up to 75 or so on a back road and a silver NSX passes me like I'm standing still.

They are damn sexy cars. And rarish to boot.

Plus, there's this: It's a 90 minute drive; I'll be there in 20 minutes.

(Wasn't the clip I was looking for, but you get the idea.)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts