8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know there has probably been like a hundred post like this before and i have read a lot of them but still undecided on weather to go S/C or Turbo on my 07 si. Its my daily driver... more like my only driver so i cant afford to be having my car in and out the shop. So i would like to just get some feedback on what kinda of problems to expect with either set up or which one would be more reliable

·
Registered
8,780 Posts
It wouldn't surprise me to find out that the only reason why most choose the turbo is for the sound of it LOL.

I'd love a S/C on my Si.

·
Registered
17,663 Posts
A F/I car is only as reliable as its tune.

That being said... if you got say, the greddy kit and just left it alone, didnt use bigger injectors or anything, youd probably be alright. but as son as you start tinkering with it, you can get into some trouble with your tune. thats when people have to be in/out of the shop

the SC is more 'set it and forget it'... though thats not 100% true. its just slightly easier in terms of upkeep.

·
Registered
8,780 Posts
A F/I car is only as reliable as its tune.

That being said... if you got say, the greddy kit and just left it alone, didnt use bigger injectors or anything, youd probably be alright. but as son as you start tinkering with it, you can get into some trouble with your tune. thats when people have to be in/out of the shop

the SC is more 'set it and forget it'... though thats not 100% true. its just slightly easier in terms of upkeep.
:yeahthat:^

I still vote S/C

How much HP can your make with a S/C anyways? Over a Turbo...?

·
Registered
17,663 Posts
:yeahthat:^

I still vote S/C

How much HP can your make with a S/C anyways? Over a Turbo...?
SC w/ I/H/E = anywhere from 250-275whp/150-170wtq depending on what i/h/e combo you have

Greddy turbo kit (not modified at all) on stock Si is about 240ish. But as soon as you add an exhaust, larger downpipe, injectors, turn up the boost a little and retune, youre sitting close to or over 300whp with TONS more torque (250wtq roughly)

my #s might be off slightly, just the best my memory serves me right now

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
jrsc with the right bolt ons should put you 290whp+/- with 180 190 tq.

if you can afford it and have a good tuner i would go turbo it is true turbo is a reliable FI just need a good tune. but from what your saying i would just go with sc i mean all you really have to do is change the sc oil and belts and maintain your basic needs.

·
Registered
168 Posts
^those numbers are pretty accurate with and without mods to the turbo and super
i say turbo just because of the upgrade you get with the torque over the s/c our cars need upgrading on the torque side i think

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
^ well you must be into the HP and TQ numbers a little if your going with the 10psi kit lol

o and for the people that think the jrsc kit drops to 7 psi with rh a friend here in vegas just got the jrsc hes got cai bcrh hks hi power 70mm and hes still at 10 psi im guessing he is pushing over or just at 290whp

·
Registered
834 Posts
I want the turbo power but don't really trust turbo's. Too many problems in the long run. And judging from all the threads in here, S/C seems to be the way to go on reliability and DD. I would love the JRSC kit but its not CARB legal. So in cali that's a no go!

·
Registered
17,663 Posts
I want the turbo power but don't really trust turbo's. Too many problems in the long run. And judging from all the threads in here, S/C seems to be the way to go on reliability and DD. I would love the JRSC kit but its not CARB legal. So in cali that's a no go!
99% of turbo related problems seen on this site are due to faulty install and/or crappy tunes. If you have a good install and get a good tune, your turbo would run flawlessly.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts