8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how come they always say change your oil every 3 months or 3,000 miles, etc etc etc? I change mine every 5,000 miles regardless of how many months its been since my last oil change (usually around 6+ months). is that good or bad for the engine?

oh and for anyone who asks, i go to college 100 miles away from home, and i only get to drive the si on the weekends. :(

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
Im with you, most of my daily driving consists 82 mile round trip to work that is all highway but maybe 2 miles. I my self have change my oil every 5000 miles on my si. No problems.

Now if your daily driving is alot of stop and go and you give it hell all the time the an earlier change will be better.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i don't drive the si on a daily basis, maybe 2 days out of the week. 50-100 miles a weekend tops, but nothing happens to the oil if it just sits there, right?

·
Registered
96 Posts
eventually the oil breaks apart if it sits for a long period of time but its actually recomended to change your oil every 6 to 7k miles. its not going to hurt anything in three months thats just the marketing scheme for the oil companys to make more money

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
i'll change it around 3,200 miles or so not every 3 months like stated. 90 % of my driving i would have to say is local so i find no need to do the 3 months thing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts