8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was talking to a buddy of mine about my Si and how much fun it is to drive. He says he had a RSX from 04 till 07 and it is a lot better than the si. I was trying to ask him how it compares because I just cannot fathom that the older technology is better than hondas newer tech.

Any Opinions from people that have driven both???

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I drove an RSX once, with an aftermarket cat-back, intake, and a nice system. lol

Anyways as far as performance, handling was good but the car was HEAVY. Not as fast as it looks. Overall cool car to drive, saying it's better than a Si is just saving his pride.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
i think they have more power if im not mistaken they have a k20 with vtec on both exauhst and intake, we only have i-vtec, intake.

someone feel free to correct me if im wrong going of what a honda friend said

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
the type-s actually came with the k20a2 or k20z1 depending on the year...our little gem contains a k20z3...meaning it 's much harder to tune and no k-pro...(dbw and maf)...

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
i think they have more power if im not mistaken they have a k20 with vtec on both exauhst and intake, we only have i-vtec, intake.

someone feel free to correct me if im wrong going of what a honda friend said
i-VTEC is intelligent VTEC. We have it on intake and exhaust cams. Our engine is an updated version of the engine in the RSX-S. The reason for the change in HP is that the SAE revision changed the way HP is measured.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
There are many pros and cons between the SI and RSX-S. My first choice of car was the 05-06 RSX-S until the SI came out. The 04 and below were ugly. In my opinion the SI is a more complete package all around. That is why I got the SI instead.

06-08 SI vs 05-06 RSX-S

Exterior Looks
RSX-S > SI

Interior Looks
SI > RSX-S

Stock Sound System
SI > RSX-S

Throttle Cable VS DBW
RSX-S > SI

Passenger Seats
SI (4) > RSX-S (3)

Seat Material
RSX-S (Leather/Design) > SI (Alcantara)

Handling
SI (LSD) > RSX-S (Non-LSD)

Cost of Car
SI (Cheaper) > RSX-S (Expensive)

Insurance

Overall in my OPINION, the SI was the better deal. "An all around car"

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
I've been in the RSX-s, honestly it feels and drives the same. Pretty much you're paying extra for the Acura badging IMO. I see more girls driving the RSX-S than the Si....

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
There are many pros and cons between the SI and RSX-S. My first choice of car was the 05-06 RSX-S until the SI came out. The 04 and below were ugly. In my opinion the SI is a more complete package all around. That is why I got the SI instead.

06-08 SI vs 05-06 RSX-S

Exterior Looks
RSX-S > SI

Interior Looks
SI > RSX-S

Stock Sound System
SI > RSX-S

Throttle Cable VS DBW
RSX-S > SI

Passenger Seats
SI (4) > RSX-S (3)

Seat Material
RSX-S (Leather/Design) > SI (Alcantara)

Handling
SI (LSD) > RSX-S (Non-LSD)

Cost of Car

Insurance

Overall in my OPINION, the SI was the better deal. "An all around car"
:yeahthat:

·
Registered
569 Posts
I was talking to a buddy of mine about my Si and how much fun it is to drive. He says he had a RSX from 04 till 07 and it is a lot better than the si. I was trying to ask him how it compares because I just cannot fathom that the older technology is better than hondas newer tech.

Any Opinions from people that have driven both???
If he has a RSX, it's only a 5MT and 160hp. Our Si has 197hp with LSD and 6MT with a ton more stuff.

the RSX is a chicks car, it looks too small and unless it's a type S, it's junk in my book.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I guess people never use the search feature. Anyways, here is something I wrote a long time ago (on my old log-in name)

Well, we've all witnessed the RSX-S vs Si threads so here is one to end all Si vs RSX-S threads. This post will only state facts that will help you if you are in a bind to decide which car would be best for you and your interests. I will attempt to get all the active threads that are related to this one merged together but since I am not a moderator I can make no promises.

Civic Si
  • Comes with LSD stock, not the greatest LSD from the factory but an LSD non the less.
  • Has a newer, "updated" engine, the K20z3 over the K20z1 or K20a2.
  • Has a newer, "updated" transaxle(transmission), the PNN4 over the NSN4 or X2M5.
  • Most likely be purchased new for the same, less or more price than the competitor.
  • Is only offered in cloth, sorry no leather, leather lovers.
  • Unique interior gauge cluster and dash.
  • Drive by wire.
  • Has rev-hang, negative or positive attribute depending on your personal taste.
  • Is offered in a four door sedan or two door coupe.
  • Will still have manufacture warranty.
  • Better stock suspension.
  • More noticeable V-tec crossover.
  • Sounds more aggressive.
  • More "buttery" shifter.
RSX Type S
  • More luxury
  • Only offered in leather, no cloth sorry guys.
  • Way more aftermarket support(K-pro FTW).
  • Drive by throttle.
  • No LSD stock, but great LSD's are available for the money.
  • Still expensive depending on mileage.
  • "Traditional" gauge cluster.
  • More "simple" dash.
  • Can still be in manufacture warranty based on year and mileage.
  • Has to be bought used, not cool.
  • Only offered in a two door hatch.
  • More "crisp" shifter.
  • Has climate control
Both
  • High reving, FUN cars.
  • Both are very reliable if taken care of.
  • Both have very very good resale value.
  • Both are pretty rare.
  • Both are stylish.
Opinions
  • Both cars seems to have some sort of scratchy exterior paint. I've seen it on both cars some complain more than others. The Si does have very easy-to-scratch paint, the RSX may be more scratch resistant than the Si.
  • Both cars seem to have a gear grinding issue some Si's have it more than RSX's and some RSX's have it more than Si's.
  • Si seems to have more complaints of a "scuff prone interior" however some swear up and down that it is solid as a rock, therefore it belongs here in the opinions menu.
  • These vehicles are faster than one another based on the driver and dyno more than another based on various wheel horsepower.
  • Each car inside and out is going to look better than one another with or without modifications based on the persons eye looking at this decision.
My opinion and final thought
Even though some of you are looking at this list and are thinking that the Si is a much greater car than the RSX-S you might want to take a look at what people are looking at when they are purchasing these sport compacts. Modifications. The RSX-S without a doubt has a much more stronger place in the aftermarket world, K-pro for some people is a major decision and while there is no doubt in my mind that Hondata is making K-pro for the Si it simply has not been released with any evidence of it being produced or not being produced and for most of us that is frustrating. Also, some people are simply looking for a car to modify and have as a weekend car, or just a daily driver or both and both of these cars will do a great job at any of those functions but simply stating that a new car is not needed, neither is warranty in this situation.

A chart stating gear ratios, engine codes, and transmission codes.

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
dude....i never see a girl drive a RSX-S before...hella SeXYYYY!
Wow, I was going to say I saw most in the wext covina area, and it seems your in covina. Keep your eyes peeled, they're there. I know a manager at a sushi place, she drives a RSX-s and constantly talks about her and her friends RSX-s and always showing me pictures. I've seen 2 females drive the Si so far, but that's out of like 100 male drivers I've seen.

·
Registered
341 Posts
as stated, pros and cons to all cars. if it helps, i got the si. simply because i wanted new and i have never been one to truly mod a car so i dont care about k-pro or any of that. plus im a bigger guy(6'3" 215lbs) and do not fit in coupes very well. hense the fa5.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts