8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking of trading in my 02 base RSX 5sp for a 06-07 EX Civic 5sp. I hate paying so much insurance and the gas mileage isn't that great. But is the Civic 5sp as quick as my RSX, and how is the handling compared to my car?

·
CHOO-CHOO!!!!!!
14,929 Posts
I've got an Si, so I'm not sure about the base model. The only thing I can say is to go test drive one and see how you like it. Welcome to the site by the way. You'll find it an endless well of knowledge for just about anything you want to know,

·
VIP Member
12,350 Posts
mattsbobo said:
I've got an Si, so I'm not sure about the base model. The only thing I can say is to go test drive one and see how you like it. Welcome to the site by the way. You'll find it an endless well of knowledge for just about anything you want to know,
:yeahthat: & welcome!

·
Registered
662 Posts
Yes, simply go for a test drive and it should answer your questions. Anyone who's owned a base RSX and moved on to a Civic can tell you as much info as they want but you'll only know for sure once you test drive it for yourself.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
This is exactly what I just did. I traded my RSX base for a Civic EX.

My EX is not quite as fast (not a significant difference), but only when all out. Around town it feels just as peppy.

Handling feels just as good to me. The EX may or may not technically be as good around a track, but to me it feels good. The steering is lighter in the EX (less effort to turn the wheel). I prefer a lighter wheel in a manual car because you can turn the wheel fast with the palm of your hand.

I averaged 33-36 MPG in my RSX (when I wasn't getting on it). I was actually amazed by the mileage of this car. This was probably 30/70 city highway. I get 37-39 in my EX with the same mix of driving. However I only have 1700 miles on my EX so far, so it might improve.

Feature for feature the EX is actually comparably equiped. It doesn't have automatic climate control or leather wrapped steering wheel (EDIT: I added the accessory leather wrap from the dealer on the EX, not quite as nice as factory but gets the job done), but it has everything else, and a few things the RSX base didn't have. Such as exterior temp reading, oil life percentage, auto open/close moonroof.

Let me know if you have any other questions, or if I left anything out.

Welcome, and good luck with the choice.

PS, My insurance is also slightly cheaper:biggrin: .

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks alot, that does help. I just hate to lose the performance of my RSX, but I guess a CAI and an exhaust on a EX will make it just as fast.

·
Registered
17,663 Posts
TruWarriorRon said:
Thanks alot, that does help. I just hate to lose the performance of my RSX, but I guess a CAI and an exhaust on a EX will make it just as fast.
One thing to keep in mind is that the R18 (engine in a DX/LX/EX) will not show much gains from simple bolt-ons. You'll notice the sound difference butt he actual gains are 'up for debate'... sort of.

Dyno tests, which can be found around here somewhere show little to no actual gains from an Intake/Exhaust... whereas a bunch of people (including myself) can 'feel' a bit of a difference.

However, I chalk the 'feel' up to the power just being shifted from one place to another, without actually gaining any ponies.

Good luck w/ your choice. And welcome to 8th!!

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
I was gonna get a base RSX before I got my r18 LX... I mean, I guess the RSX is a little sportier, but the 8th gen civic is a world of improvements over the 7th. I was also looking at a 2005 2.5rs till I realized that the r18 is a lot quicker than the slow ass 2.5rs. I dunno man, the r18 coupes have awesome seats, the interiors are also awesome, it handles real nice, especially after the upgraded sway bar. It might not be real quick, but it's fun to drive, and keeps me entertained.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
One more question, the reason why I'm considering this is to save money, mostly on gas mileage. I average 350 miles to a tank, on average how is the civic. And also my RSX has a problem with the back end coming out with high speed cornering, I actually lost it once. Does the Civic have this problem too? Also for some reason I'm paying $780 a half for my RSX, the Civic is $800 a half, I'm kinda confused by this.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
TruWarriorRon said:
One more question, the reason why I'm considering this is to save money, mostly on gas mileage. I average 350 miles to a tank, on average how is the civic. And also my RSX has a problem with the back end coming out with high speed cornering, I actually lost it once. Does the Civic have this problem too? Also for some reason I'm paying $780 a half for my RSX, the Civic is $800 a half, I'm kinda confused by this.
I have a 5-spd manual LX and I get about 28 mpg driving mostly city, with maybe 15% highway. I drive it kinda hard, and I'm sure I could get 30 mpg if I took it easier. The back end of my car used to come out at high speed cornering... I installed the Si sway bar... but I honestly don't know if that helped the problem. Last time I took a corner at high speed I almost clipped a curb, so I have had the urge to try it again LOL.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
TruWarriorRon said:
As I mentioned in my previous post my EX is about 3-4 MPG better than my RSX. I averaged a combined 33-36 MPG in my RSX. I get 37-39 MPG in my EX with the same driving style and city/highway mix. It isn't a huge difference, but everything helps.

The insurance difference could be from any number of things. Insurance companies base their rates on many factors. Likelyhood of vehicle to be stolen in your area, likelyhood of a crash, average injuries to the passangers in a crash, average cost to repair after a crash, etc. It is also based on the total value of the car. The Civic is a lot newer and probably has a higher value. My EX was only about $30 less a half than my RSX (State Farm).

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
mO 64 StAnG 06 said:
The rear end is pretty stable on my EX. With the sway bar the back end tends to break a bit more, which isn't a bad thing.
I dont really know the terminology for the handling, but I have to say the r18 handles nicely. The sway bar does help too. I had to drive to homedepot to get new bolts right after I took of the stock sway bar and the car sucked around turns, especially ones where the road was rough. Feels much better now :thumb:

·
Registered
534 Posts
I have an 07 EX Coupe 5-speed, and let me attest to the fact that it's an awesome car. I get 450 miles on each tank if I want to push it, but I normally fill up before then. Downshifting can get you going fast too, it's not a sports car but for the normal person it's fast enough. I have alot of fun in mine, and you should to.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok, now last stupid question, how does it do over 80mph, my RSX dies at about 100 and the pick up is gone, how does the civic do these speeds.

·
Registered
17,663 Posts
TruWarriorRon said:
Ok, now last stupid question, how does it do over 80mph, my RSX dies at about 100 and the pick up is gone, how does the civic do these speeds.
80-low 90s it does fine. then it just dies. Ive topped out at 109mph... but that was downhill

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
TruWarriorRon said:
New civic handles speed REAL well. I was shocked when I first drove it. It doesnt have much pick up on the highway at speeds 60mph+ if you are in 5th. But you can drop all the way to 3rd and you will move.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts