8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a copy of an email that I sent to Royal Purple. I had a bad experience using Amsoil ATF in my 2007 LX, so I am leery of using anything other than Honda Z1 ATF. I will update this thread if I hear back from someone at Royal Purple.

Hello,

I own a 2007 Honda Civic LX, which was purchased new. I am currently using a mix of Amsoil Universal ATF and Honda Z1 ATF in the automatic transmission for this vehicle. I had originally performed 2 drain/fill operations with the Amsoil ATF, which put the mix at 65% Amsoil ATF and 35% Z1 ATF. The shift quality was degraded with this mix (hard shifts), especially in the low gears. I then performed a drain/fill operation with Honda Z1 ATF, which put the mix back to 65% Z1 ATF and 35% Amsoil ATF. This seemed to improve shift quality overall when compared to 100% Z1 ATF.

I believe that the Honda Z1 ATF uses a unique blend of Friction Modifiers. I feel that this explains why Amsoil ATF performed poorly. I also know that the additive pack in Z1 ATF is different from other Dextron III type ATF offerings. I am intrigued by Max ATF, but am leery of trying a non-OEM ATF based on my experience with the Amsoil ATF. Max ATF is listed as being compatible with non-CVT Honda automatic transmissions. Before I decide to use Max ATF I was wondering if you could answer a few questions?

My questions are as follows:

1) Does the Max ATF contain Friction Modifier properties that are close to the Honda Z1 ATF?

2) Does Royal Purple have any Used Oil Analysis (UOA) results for the Max ATF? If the answer is yes, are you willing to share these?

3) What, if any, warranty coverage is offered for transmission damage that is determined to be related to the use of Max ATF?

Thank you in advance for your attention to my concerns. I am looking forward to using Max ATF.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dude... I have used MAX Life ATF in my Civil LX 2006... Now I have problems with the shifting, specially in low gears.. I noticed it today (March 17/08), after 10 days of doing a simple ATF change (not a complete flush). I will go today to the Honda Dealer and will buy ATF-Z1... I think it is better to use the product recommended for the vehicle..

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.