8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to install a roof mounted FM antenna on my 08 Civic Coupe, and was wondering what was the best way to route the coaxial wire to the radio ?
I am a little leary of the A pillars, as they contain the air bags, any suggestions ???

·
Registered
47 Posts
Don't worry about the A pillars. A $2 part and a good wack with a rubber mallet is all it takes. Worked fine for me. Although I will say "Do this at your own risk" in the off chance there's some freak thing that goes wrong.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, so tell me, what is involved in removing the a-pillar cover , and what are the safety precautions involved in ensuring the air bag does not deploy.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I just peeled back a little bit of the weather stripping and then (while pulling gently at the top) hit the piece with a rubber mallet wrapped in a rag. If you have a sedan you hit just below the airbag logo that's near the top and if you have a coupe you hit right on that logo.

I didn't take any precautions other than only hitting it as hard as I needed to. Started off soft and gradually hit it harder till it popped off. That may have been stupid not ot take any other precautions but I suppose you could just disconnect the battery if you're worried.

I don't know the part number off the top of my head for that clip but I can post it up later...it's only a buck or two.

·
Registered
1 Posts
XM antenna routing

I chose NOT to deal with the pillars because I didn't want to deal with the airbag issue. I simply ran the wire behind the dash along other wires and then ran it along the floor trim under the driver's side door's, then I ran it up under the back seat, into the trunk, and up to the roof. I'm not a skilled expert and this was VERY EASY. It just took some patience. I will post pictures as soon as I get them.
Here's a PDF instruction link for what Honda recommends but my way is MUCH easier.
http://www.collegehillshonda.com/instructions/8th_gen_civ_sedan/xmradio.pdf

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ever since I changed my stock radio over to an aftermarket Pioneer hi end receiver, my FM reception had room for improvement ( and yes I am aware to connect the blue +12v wire to the FM amplifier in my civic).
So I did install an aftermarket antenna , made a bit of differnence, but not as good as I thought it should have. But I do like the look of the roof mounted antenna I must say.......

1 - 7 of 7 Posts