8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my Si sedan last week, and I just passed 700 miles this morning.

For the past few days though, I've noticed a rough start in the mornings. The car sort of bucks through the first 3 or 4 gears, until the engine warms up then it's fine.

Again, this is only when the car sits for extended amounts of time. The car is brand new, and I get the feeling this should not be happening. Am I wrong? Should I take it in to get checked out?

:redface:

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
This is happening to me too sometimes Grimey. My car sits outside over night most of the time and I have 2945 miles (4750km) on my CSX Type S (Civic Si Sedan). So if I'm still getting it then it just may be an engine warming issue. Anyone else can confirm this?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lionelp said:
This is happening to me too sometimes Grimey. My car sits outside over night most of the time and I have 2945 miles (4750km) on my CSX Type S (Civic Si Sedan). So if I'm still getting it then it just may be an engine warming issue. Anyone else can confirm this?
Yep, that's the one.

I'm taking it in next week to get it checked out. I'm also having them look at the rev hang issue, and hopefully reflash the ECU. Also touched on the notchyness of 2nd gear.

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
It starts like this for me as well. I have 17,000 km on her now, and it has done this since day one. My 72 Torino starts faster.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Yep, it's normal. If you let the car idle at least 10 seconds during the day (I let it idle until it's at 1500RPM in the morning), and take it easy until you have at least 5+ bars on your temp gague, then it shouldn't be that much of an issue. The K20Z3 + DBW is really sensitive when it's cold :biggrin:

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So will the dealership be able to do anything upon inspection for it?

Regardless, I still want to take it in for the rev hang and the notchy 2nd gear.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Grimey said:
So will the dealership be able to do anything upon inspection for it?

Regardless, I still want to take it in for the rev hang and the notchy 2nd gear.
Go ahead and take it in and express your concerns. I have a feeling that they will just tell you to let it warm up before you start off since it is a K20Z3 thing. But if you think it may be worse than other Si's, then get a tech to drive it after it's been sitting for a while.

Rev hang...won't get fixed. Period. Honda thinks it's good where it is, and I agree. It may be annoying at first, but after a while, you figure out how to take advantage of it. 2nd gear could be solved by the new Honda MTF, GM synchromesh, or Amisol. Hopefully your dealership doesn't scoff at you and just replaces your MTF with the newer stuff. If they do tell you to buzz, just buy some MTF of your choice, and pay them to put it in...or do it yourself.

·
Registered
271 Posts
This is nothing new...

You jus need to let your car warm up before you ever drive it... Stop hitting the gas as soon as you hop in...

I never drive my car until it idles under 1k... And so I have no issues with jerkiness... Same thing with the "notchiness" in the gears...

Let your car warm up people!!!

·
Banned
256 Posts
You'll get so used to it that you won't even think about it. I was pissed off in the beginning but I don't think about it anymore. It'll get better the more you drive it. I have slightly over 4000 miles and I rarely get rough idling during startup now. My advice, drive hard after the breakin period. I didn't drive hard on purpose, but I discovered that after driving hard, the problem pretty much disappeared.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts