8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

My issue might not be a functional one but a tolerance one; namely, rough idling. I know it's all relative, but I'll do my best to relay the intensity of the idling.

For reference, when I initially start my car and it is still relatively cold and the RPM is high (1000), the feel is ideal. No rough idle. Like the engine is counteracting the engine from buzzing the car. After I've driven the car around the block, and it has reached the standard operating temperature, and my is in neutral, the RPM is at around 600 and that is when I notice the rough idle. I wouldn't describe it as a shake but more of a buzz. It's strongest source is at the driver's armrest. The intensity is like one of those portable massagers.

It seems that some of the threads that I've seen on this topic seems to indicate that their rough idling is more intense than what I'm experiencing. Also, these threads also indicate that the RPM seems to fluctuate like it's going to cutoff but dips back to idle. I've never experienced any dips in RPM; only a constant massage like buzzing throughout the car.

I've gone to the TSB's listed here for 2006 civics and the closest thing I found was 06-059 - Buzzing From the Engine at Low RPM. It says the symptom is buzzing from the engine under light throttle (1300-1700) or at idle while in gear. What's an idle at gear? The only idle I know is when you put your car in neutral. Or, have disengaged the transmission by pressing on the clutch. So, what do they mean by idle while in gear???

They also mention that the probable cause is that the drive belt layout allows drive belt tensioner noise to be heard in the passenger compartment. I don't have this issue. I don't have noise issues but just the annoying buzzing I feel through the armrest and less through out the rest of the car.

I dropped my car off a local Honda shop and they have indicated that there's no issue. I've had an opportunity to get into another 06 civic sedan albeit an automatic and although there were slight vibration, it was noticeably different than what I was experiencing. I think I read somewhere that this buzzing is noticeably more on a manual. My car is a 06 sedan EX w/ 56000 miles.

There's been many threads here on rough idle. Can someone describe how rough these people are talking about? Maybe I'm being too sensitive?

·
Registered
345 Posts
It sounds like what you're describing is normal based on the other complaints. I have it too, in my 07 EX Coupe MT. FWIW the upper torque rod ("dogbone" on the passenger side of the engine) is metal on MT models and plastic on AT models. This could have something to do with it if there's a difference in roughness between MT and AT Civics. Also it's possible that the AT model idles a little higher (fairly common, but I'm not positive the Civic is that way).

·
Registered
345 Posts
To add, I'm not sure I'd say you're being "too sensitive" even if what you're noticing is the normal vibration. 4 cylinder motors tend to vibrate a bit. Larger 4 bangers tend to have balance shafts to counteract this to an extent, but the R18 does not have any. Some motors vibrate more than others, although Honda has traditionally been known for good (low) NVH (noise-vibration-harshness) characteristics. While I don't think the R18's vibration is out of the ordinary in general, it is a little unfortunate it's not as smooth as some other Honda engines.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback, rationull. Sounds like you know a bit or two about cars.

I just spoke to the service advisor at the local Honda dealer and he has told me that there is nothing wrong and that the vibration is normal. He said they retried resetting the ECU but to no avail. Also, readjusting the motor mounts,etc. He did mention that he did try to compare it to another 06 civic with approx. same miles but it was an automatic. He did concede that mine did have a bit more vibration but that it was acceptable and there was really nothing their mechanics could do. He also said that they thought of adjusting the idle but that proved wrong as this is controlled through the computer,etc. And in any case, that's not the proper way. I told him if he had done that, it's like chopping off an arm because you complained of feeling a pain there. In any case, I guess I have to live with it. I had a 01 civic coupe before I got this car and I don't recall have that kind of a vibration emanating throughout the car like this. Maybe, I'll right into Honda corp. and see what they have to say since the dealership is throwing their hands up in the air and conceding it to a design flaw if you can call it that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.