8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi y'all, this will be my first post on this forum! I recently got a 2008 Civic Si sedan, and I want to get a set of roof racks for my new-to-me car so I can carry my mountain bikes with me on road trips. If any of y'all have roof racks on your 8th-gen Civic, let me know what you have! I've heard that Thule and Yakima make high-quality units, but any suggestions and/or advice is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Thule and Yakima, you are right, make quality racks perhaps the best. I've had 3 civic coupes, '('01, '12, '08 in that order), today I have the '08. Have about every rack system Yakima round bars, Thule square bars, Handy Inflatable (these are to wide for a Civic), and a few soft rack systems.
Carry one of either canoe, kayak, or SUP, many many miles at hi-way+ speeds on trips up to 4 hours one way.
Soft racks are great, quick and easy on, easy off, downside is if caught in rain the the straps run thru the car inside door to door and wick water dripping at the lowest point usually my lap or passenger seat.
Hard racks, now as easy to install or remove, harder to store, but work great. At one time I had the full bike rack attachments on my set of old Yakima Round bars. These adapters got in the way when I wanted to carry paddle craft and were a pita to remove..
I found.find that with the hard bars I tend to leave them on the car most of the time, rather than install/remove when I wnat to use them.
Down side of the round and square bar racks is the wind noise mainly when on the hi-way without something loaded.

Currently I have a set of Thule WingBar, maybe 5 or 6 years old, bought them when I had the '12 Civic, but the fit the '08 so that's what I use on it. They work great and are much quieter than the square bars. Not sure what attachments you can get the bars, but see a guy in the neighbor hood with a Honda Fit that has the c=same bars and he carries 2 mountain bikes all the time.
When I bough them both Yakima & Thule did not recommend or say they would fit a Coupe, due to not enuf distance between the front and rear bar, but I chose to ignore that warning and have never had a problem.

Note: Thule & Yakime are not inexpensive, but they are top level quality and fit the vehicle well.

·
Registered
150 Posts
my man I have Thule and I love them. Not cheap but this is what I would recommend.
Got on facebook market place and check for deals. I bought second had square bars with the holders for $235 (this was for a focus hatchback I sold the rubber pads adapters for $80). Then, I went to their official site and bought a rubber set for civic sedan that was $90. Now, before I install the racks I added 3m film on the roof where the rack makes contact with the paint. I added soapy water so the rubber wont rip the film. Over all I love them and I have use them to carry 3 bikes at once. Oh another note. buy a small step to load / unload items from the roof .. it is a little hard to reach ...

Last, as stated above .. wind noise is noticeable on the highway with square bars. You can mitigate this issue with the wind deflector or you can wrap a rope on the bars

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
209 Posts
If you go with Thule, when you install the bars tighten til you think its tight then tighten some more.
I bought the aluminum, to match the silver.. but now they have black.
For bike it does not matter, but for my fiberglass paddle-craft the black rubber strip across the top of the bar, which I had to replace after a few years exposed to the sun, is not s non-marking rubber and leaves ugly not so easy marks on the surface when sliding them on and off loading.

Wheel Plant Car Vehicle Tire

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

1 - 4 of 4 Posts